Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Reading the press release from IFA: LINK:

Sony - Setting the new standard in personal computing: VAIO® Fit multi-flip

My understanding is that all three models share the Triluminos display and the active digitizer (stylus + finger touch).

The differences being that only the A13 has the 8 Megapixel Exmor camera, and stylus included (optional on the A14 and A15) + 8 gig RAM max for the A13 and A14, while the A15 has the option of a 2880x1600, 16 gig RAM and Nvidia GT735M graphic card.

Might be wrong though :eek:

If indeed the A15 has stylus support i´m sold and kudos to SONY for giving consumers the option of a 15.5" tablet (for me 13.3 was nice but not great...)

Regards

2. cyberguy

cyberguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a brand new Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB SSD that I want to use with the VAIO FIT 13.3". Would this SSD fit the FIT 13.3" ? I was planning to just order the smallest size SSD from Sony and replace it with my 512 GB SSD. Would I use the Windows 8.1 serial number that comes with the device? (usually underneath the machine).

3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

16 gigs RAM and dedicated GPU and 15.5" screen makes it droool worthy alright. The dedicated GPU helps free up precious watts for the ULV CPU too, that the integrated GPU is normally stealing half the time. I really hope Adobe switches to windows API, that would make this a game changer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, this would clearly be false and misleading advertisement. All multi-flip models are announced with the triluminos display (this is in fact one of the advertised key features) and the only difference w.r.t. the display is the available resolution (high-res is only available for 15").

E.g. at
    VAIO® Fit multi-flip
    (German version, should be the same content for the English version; it's the technical data section for the multi-flip)

the differences are explained:
    - Stylus included for 13" and optional (=pay extra, approx. 45 €) for 14" and 15"
    - Exmor camera only available for the 13" model
    - 2880 x 1620 only available for "selected models" (= 15")
    - NVIDIA (+Optimus) only for "selected models" (again, 15")
    - 802.11a only for selected models (whatever ...)
    - Core i7 CPU only available for "selected models" (15", didn't check the rest)
    - 14" model has only 2 USB ports (3 for 15")

The triluminos display is advertised as one key feature for _all_ models. (Remeber, this is information from the official Sony site and not some info from some "review" blog.)

Still waiting for the support section to be updated with the multi-flip (manual, drivers, etc.)...

pictogramax, stoneseeker and Clerish like this.
  5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

The high resolution Flip 15 is set for a November release in Europe right?

I can't wait to get one. My T730 is slowly coming to a halt. =(

I wonder why Sony didn't go with a 3200x1800 display?

Edit: Just had a play around with the configuration. Great value for money, but "Battery life up to 5.5 hours". I'm going with 5 hours in real use at best. Unless they release a sheet battery, I won't be interested.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  6. PokerGuy

PokerGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow I really want to order right now! Whats up with Windows 8.1 coming out in 8 days though? Is there any logic in holding on for it to be released and presumably included?

7. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Right :thumbsup:

Just checked on "my Sony" and i have 8/11 to 11/11 as estimated shipment date. Fingers crossed.

Feel your pain, my ASUS EP 121 is in really bad shape. Dead battery plus some nasty random freezes :confused:

I reckon i would have preferred a 3200x1800 resolution, but hey, 2880X1620 (213 PPI) doesn´t sound that bad.

By the way i used this coupon FLKAFF4A13 and got a 7% discount which i guess is better than nothing, so if any body is interest it won´t hurt to give it a try. No worries, it´s an official coupon for any VAIO product with the exception of VAIO outlet products.

Regards

8. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

3200*1800 equals 1600*900 screen estate at 200% DPI scaling. 2880*1620 equals 1920*1080 screen estate at 150% scaling. May be it's a good choice.

Tams, JoeS and Demonaire like this.
  9. ThatsJustHowISeeIt

ThatsJustHowISeeIt Scribbler - Standard Member

I too would have preferred 3200X1800 but I'll live with the 2880X1620 resolution of the Flip 15.

The Flip 15 is my dream tablet convertible device and the only issue I have with it is the advertized silly mechanical hybrid hard disk with a measly 16GB SSD. I want all storage to be SSD based. It's silly to pay that kind of money and then run your applications off of a mechanical hard drive. Anyone know if the Flip 15 can be configured with a proper SSD drive that is at least 250GB?

IMHO it is idiotic to saddle such a high end computer with a mechanical hard drive.

10. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, you can configure it with SSD up to 512GB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.