Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, usually I also wait for others to adopt early, but since the lectures start in two weeks I didn't want to wait.

Sure, I'll post my experiences here. Well, so far I am a bit skeptical about the CPU (ULV; though I've picked the fastest one available, the i7-4500u) and the screen (glossy, but it should be bright enough). For the time being the pen input is limited to drawing formulae and sketches, so I don't expect any issues here.
    However, it's supposed to be a replacement for my Macbook Pro, so I'm curious too about how well it'll hold up.

2. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

you ordered already!? thumbs up! I'm still waiting for the first reviews to be seen. But I'll be stalking this thread for whatever info you can drop on how the flip 15" behaves, feels and it's usability.

3. muha123

muha123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm placing my order right now too, and I was wondering why the 13" model was about 150€ more expensive then the 14" with same specs,so I called Sony and asked them about it. They told me that only the 13" model has a triluminos display wich causes the difference.
    Also I'm asking myself if I should order the N-trig pen for 45€ they offer for 14" and 15" models, or if there are better pens to buy directly from N-trig anyway?

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Will you be able to test it with a few art software trials? Notably Photoshop and Sketchbook Pro?

Looks like you'll be the first of us to own the most graphically powerful of any tabletPC ever built! Congrats!

5. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Sure, as soon as I get it I'll start a new thread here (well, don't expect lengthy and polished reviews from me but I'd happily look into some points raised here as a thanks for all the info I collected from here).

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

7. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

It isn't mentioned anywhere that the Triluminos technology is used only in some models, so it should actually be also in the 14A.
    I'm pretty sure the price difference is due to the fact the 13A is an ultrabook: it weights a lot less, even if the screen is just a bit smaller, and it's thinner. It also has a fairly good back camera for scanning documents.

We don't know yet if that option is only for the pen or if it includes the digitizer layer in the screen. If it happened to be the latter, then you wouldn't be able to use any pen on it after buying it, so I wouldn't risk in your case.

8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

There's definitely been literature that has clearly and deliberately mentioned the Trimulous display as a standard feature on some models and not on others. So, yes, I think that's a clear reason why some models are more or less expensive than others. The other is that some don't come with a digitizer. The other is that some models (such as the 13") come standard with a SSD, while others come standard with a HDD.

Still, larger but cheaper model that had a digitizer but not a SSD or super HD Trimulous display would be attractive to some. Screen real estate is that important for some use cases (art, etc).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  9. needs glue

needs glue Pen Pal - Newbie

The Netherlands have it available for order online now so you can see specifics about euro price and customisation options.

VAIO® Fit multi-flip

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just found a screen size comparison graphic to lust over.

screen-size-comparison.jpg

The Flip 15 basically takes my current setup and adds two inches to one side. Sweet. I really hope the N-Trig 2 system works out. It'll be nice to have something to save my pennies for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.