Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, for a while the Canadian site only had the 13 and 14. The 15 came back for a day, and now all three are listed as, "Coming Soon".

At least they're not taking payments for items they can't deliver; that would only led to anger. Now it's the good kind of expectant frustration; much better for the PR.

I hope when they do come back on line, as somebody else suggested, it will be with firmware, drivers (and fans) all spinning properly.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a purchase of a 15".

Though, I'm probably going to hold out until the new Acer R7s start to ship. Same basic design, but maybe with better N-Trig performance. Be nice to see some WinTab support. It's a long shot, but patience is good when it comes to these things.

2. bjornh

bjornh Pen Pal - Newbie

Can someone with 14" model confirm if there is not any air vents under the PC.
    Is it possible to have in the bed without it over heat?
    //Björn

3. quadpatch

quadpatch Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed that the UK website has removed the ability to customise the Flip models. Only set 13" & 15" models are listed (no 14"), but they are now only listed for pre-order.

My original pre-order for the 13" Flip (ordered on the 8th Oct - Day 1) is still currently set for completion between today and the 24th Nov (this Sunday). The last email I had from Sony said that, although I've had 4 delays of my pre-order, the last date that I received will be final. Let's see what happens...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  4. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

It probably makes sense that the websites are not accepting orders across the globe since presumably they all originate from the same factory in China (somewhere in the vicinity of Shanghai according to my TNT tracker). Other than language packs the difference between the packages should be nil. That some are still accepting orders could be down to bad synchronisation, people who order now might just be facing delays anyway.

What makes me wonder though is that yours took so much longer than mine, I never had any delays. Must be related to the components I picked... hooray for unpopular choices :)

5. Javier_1964

Javier_1964 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mmmm.... Strange :confused:

The 14" model has also dissapear from the Spanish Sony site and the 13" and 15" cannot be customized or ordered.

Since every week I get an email from Sony telling me that the 15" i ordered (from day one, that´s the 8 of October :mad:) has been delayed i phoned Sony yesterday... they apologized (that´s never a bad thing) and told me that the delays were because of "unexpected very high demand of this particular model", but that i would most probably receive mine the 29th (Friday next week).

Should i believe what this person told me? I reckon i´m a bit anxious after reading that some users are experiencing problems with the noise fan.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that for the last two weeks when i check on "my Sony" the status of my order i read "production of your order has already started" (well, more or less, i´m translating to english).

Regards

6. fl0werstar

fl0werstar Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, here's what I'd do. Either complain to Sony like crazy. (I've harassed them into getting my Flip only 2 weeks late :D) Or withdraw your order and wait for the new batch. (Though I don't think they're doing anything hardwarewise.) AFAIK you can do so until it ships as per the website, and I certainly don't believe those who say you can't while it's in production. They sure can sell it to someone else. ;) If emails don't work, call 'em.

7. jdonalds

jdonalds Pen Pal - Newbie

It's true. There are no air vents on the bottom of the 14" Flip. There are air vents within the hinge and on the left side.

8. kenetik

kenetik Pen Pal - Newbie

For those who have touchscreen issues after upgrading to 8.1 (touch screen stops responding, need to enable/disable in device manager, put to sleep and wake to get it working again etc.) I did some research and it looks like Win 8.1 has screwed up touch screen drivers on multiple vendors/models. I ended up going to the Services control panel and setting the Human Interface Device service startup to automatic (Trigger Start) rather than Manual (Trigger Start) and I haven't had it drop since. I am not sure what other impacts this has, battery etc, but I haven't noticed anything.

In retrospect, I feel like the PC ran a lot better under Win 8 versus 8.1, at least it wasn't worth losing all my Metro apps and having to put them back to get a few fixes, tweaks and a really unsatisfying start button. Haunting this and other forums, Sony customer support are advising people with some problems to revert to Win 8. 8.1 is fine now, beyond initially making my mouse non-functional and seemingly causing the touch screen to drop every few hours. Still not worth the hassle IMO.

twospirits and fl0werstar like this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I changed my setting from Manual to Automatic. Let you know if it holds up for me.

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Have you tried right clicking the new start button yet?

...It's a pretty powerful little button now --or at the very least-- a little more satisfying than just being a link to the "metro" start menu.