Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Let's hope. Have to send it in to repair, cause my fan makes strange noises ... .

2. Tab Rocker

Tab Rocker Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sure if you complain to the warranty department enough you be able to send it in, but more likely they will say it's not considered broken if it still spins. Unless things have changed, Sony has a HORRIFIC Warranty department. I dealt with them years ago and I had to jump through hoops to get an RA#.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Pen Pal - Newbie

I got a solid 6 hours of life from the battery today, including 1 1/2 hours of streaming Netflix video. Not the 8 to 10 hours I'd like to have but certainly the best battery life I've ever had from any laptop. I was running the "balanced" power mode with about 50% brightness.

I haven't tried any low power settings. I also haven't let the battery get below 15% so if I was willing to drain the battery I suppose 7+ hours isn't out of the question.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. fl0werstar

fl0werstar Pen Pal - Newbie

#454 ;)

I've had my 13A for a couple of days now and I just love it. I'm going to post a very subjective review in a couple of days, and post the link here. Subjective in the sense that I'll discuss things from my point of view which might not be everyone's. For instance i do get the power connector, it reminds me of locks I have for sports gear and the like, easily detachable but holds strong when plugged in. It doesn't hold firm, but that's not the point of the design. TBH I also dig the sharp edges, the XPS12 pales in comparison to the flip's design. And I'm looking at this thing ten hours a day, so it'd better look good. Fan noise only comes up in stupid vaio or microsoft apps and settings, none of it in Word and co., and especially none if the machine's unplugged. On my way back from Italy I barely shut it off during the 12 hour bus drive, so I got around 9-10 hours of battery life out of it typing in word and watching movies. It even kept my phone alive for a while. :) All in all this was a perfect choice for me, and while I'd love to change a couple of little things (some of the keys have weird backlight or some slight flimsiness to them, etc.), I don't think I have any major issues with the machine. I expected it to be different from my old computer, and I chose it because it matched the profile I was going for. So treat anything i say with a pinch of salt, if you have very precise expectations, you might get disappointed. I've been keeping an open mind about this, and I'm quite happy with my purchase.

thatcomicsguy, Clerish and ogi like this.
  5. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

9-10 hours? That's exactly what I'd want. What power settings and brightness level were you using?

6. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx @ fl0werstar

Mhm but for me my Flip 13 doesnt least so long. If I stream some 720p movie on Youtube maby around 6h. If I work with OneNote, 50% brightness its about 5:50h (silent mode).

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Based on the specs, 6 hours sounds about right for Balanced use. 9-10 hours of actual usage sounds very high, but perhaps is possible with very low airplane lighting and no wifi, running Word docs and whatnot. But hey, who knows?

8. Credomo

Credomo Pen Pal - Newbie

The Sony Vaio Flip PC is no more available for buying at Sony's website in Europe. Verified in France, Germany, Belgium. Still avalable in UK.

9. fl0werstar

fl0werstar Pen Pal - Newbie

That's more or less what I was doing. I honestly don't know if it was closer to 8 hours or nine, as I also fell asleep :D but it was a 13 hour coach drive, and I worked as much as possible and the was watching a couple of sitcom episodes. No wifi, and since it was dark I had brightness set to about 40-70%, depending on what I was doing. Mind you, this is still my fourth charge or so, so I can easily imagine it will settle at something less unexpected.

I worked some more today, and I must say that in balanced mode the fan only switched on a couple of times, and very briefly. It is loudish, but nothing that makes me go nuts or hate the machine any more. (Of course I don't think I've ever experienced complete silence, most probably that would drive me nuts...)

My graphic drivers (even after a 95MB 8.1 update) seem to be still a bit off. If I set size (somewhere in the settings) to 100%, everything is crisp and clear, but some stuff is just illegibly tiny. If I set it higher, most things look great, except for some desktop stuff, Chrome among them. This does unsettle my nerves from time to time, and I do hope I'll find a solution soon.

I've just installed SPSS 22 on it, so we'll see how it takes that. :)

10. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

It should be possible to slightly increase battery life with some minor tweaks (such as disabling/reducing the page file or disabling search indexing when on battery power) have you done any of that?
    but 3 hours difference seems a bit much, even on a fresh battery.
    Fresh batteries are usually not calibrated but that doesn't mean they actually have more capacity it just means windows is reading the *wrong* capacity.
    Capacity shouldn't change by much if at all.

That being said the spec sheet Sony just sent me along with my bill does say 8.5 hours of battery life while the specs I was presented while ordering said 6.5 hours I believe. Does Sony even know what kind of battery they put into these things?^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.