Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdonalds

jdonalds Pen Pal - Newbie

Some observations on the 14" after two days.

1) This is not a light laptop. I handled the 13.3" at the store which was light weight.

2) Using this laptop in tablet mode won't be done while holding it with one hand in the air and using the second hand to touch the screen. Way too heavy. But placed on a lap or table in the stand mode works well.

3) The complaint about sharp edges is a non issue for me. I haven't yet even noticed the sharp edges unless I'm specifically looking for them. Rounded edges would be an improvement though.

4) The power button is very poorly designed. It is nearly flush with the side of the laptop and is under the edge of the top plate. Its a bit hard to locate, it's small, and you have to depress it into the case to activate it. There are about 10 things Sony could have done to make this easier. I suppose it could be worse but this is close to as bad a design as they could have come up with.

5) This is a very classy, nice looking, solid feeling, clean, thin, and well equipped laptop. I really like it in spite of the few shortcomings.

6) I've been able to set it up so it goes directly to the desktop, bypassing both the stupid lock screen and the login screen when it powers up. But I can't find a way to bypass the irritating lock screen when coming out of sleep mode. Apparently if you have Windows 8 Pro you can disable the lock screen, but not Windows 8. It isn't worth $99 to upgrade to pro though. I just don't understand why we need a picture on the screen before the loging screen. Just one more Enter key to hit to get it off the screen. Just dumb.

7) My Bluetooth mouse kept losing contact with the computer but turning off the option to turn power off of the Bluetooth to save energy fixed that.

8) As is true of most auto brightness features it doesn't make the display bright enough for me so I turned it off. This thing can get very bright, but it also burns through the battery at full brightness. It does automatically dim the display somewhat when it just sits for a few minutes.

9) I've never liked touch pads, and I really hate the touch pad buttons that are part of the pad surface. Separate buttons would be preferred by me if I have to use the touch pad.

10) The edge to edge glass of the display is really elegant.

11) My 14" has no fan issues and it runs cool.

12) This thing comes out of sleep very fast. I'd say less than 4 seconds from the time I raise the lid.

13) The hinge is stiff enough so that using the touch screen in laptop mode doesn't result in the screen slipping back. But the same resistance makes switching to tablet mode a two hand job.

14) The back-lit keyboard is awesome. I won't have another computer without that feature.

15) Smart design on the Ethernet connector.

16) The power connector on the 14" is great compared to the crappy one on the 13" I would have liked the 13" for size and weight but there were just too many things wrong with the design. (fan noise, lid touches the table when opened, feet on the lid edge makes it slippery on a table, power connector sucks)

17) Two USB 3.0s. Awesome choice Sony. All USBs should be 3.0 in any new laptop. I don't know why 2.0s are still designed in.

18) Full size SD card slot. I wouldn't even look at a laptop without one.

19) End of life easy to replace battery. It's a winner

20) Three little lights on the front under the deck plate; poorly positioned and hard to see without bending down or lifting the laptop.

All-in-all it's a great little computer. I'm very happy with it.

2. fobboy

fobboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know if the power connector on the 14" is the same as for the other vaio's? I want to buy the external battery pack for it (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B45EOYS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics) but don' t know if the tips fit.

Are there any higher juice batteries you can buy to replace the stock?

3. jdonalds

Sorry I'm no help here. I don't know much about the other Vaio's or battery pack. If you're talking abou the Vaio Flip 13, 14, 15 the 14 & 15 power connectors are alike. The 13" model has a smaller power connector.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  4. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

5. jdonalds

The power connector on the 14" Flip model is quite a bit larger. I saw in your video that the 13" power connector seemed to hold in place quite well when you tugged on it. I've been in the Best Buy store twice playing around with all of the Flip models. Twice I played with the 13" Flip and while doing so the power connector practically fell out on its own without me even having my hand on the cord. Perhaps because it is a floor model and has been handled quite a bit. It was one of the things that turned me off to the 13" model.

6. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone found a good and compact sleeve for the Flip 13?

7. jdonalds

First real battery test on my 14" i5.

I've used this laptop for 4.5 hours. The battery shows 31% remaining and suggests 3 more hours left. Based on using 4.5 hours and buring 69% I'd guess there is less than two hours left, so a total of about 6.5 hours.

This is the first time I've used the Flip strictly on battery.

- Screen brightness about 50%
    - Downloaded a few apps
    - Spent most of the time on the start screen checking out the available apps, rearranging apps, read some news, watched a few video clips, read and sent some email. Nothing too heavy.

The bottom of the laptop is warm, but not hot, in the middle toward the back.
    The fan comes on but it is whisper quiet.

thatcomicsguy, Clerish and ogi like this.
  8. beerzilla

beerzilla Pen Pal - Newbie

In Switzerland you currently can't order the Vaio Flip (13, 14 and 15) on Sony's website. Apparently one component is out of stock. My guess is it's a) a fault on Sony's poorly designed website or b) they stopped taking orders until the figured out what's behind the fan problem

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

So I am guessing there is a flaw in many of the Flips then, where some of the fans they used during production had faulty bearings, and you lucked out and got one that has good bearings. There is no way one person would call it "whisper" quiet, and another claim it's "hard to hear myself think" without their being something massively different between the 2. So it sounds like Sony has a pile of faulty fans they need to replace.

10. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

If I remember correctly, there are no mentions of flip 14 with loud fans, and the fan is probably different than that of the flip 13 and 15. So I don't think it's a matter of flawed and good fans, they are probably the same for each model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.