Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

A brief update:
    The first flip-flops, ehm multi-flips are listed in some German shops (however with unknown delivery date); pricing seems to match Sony's announcement. Sony site says that pre-orders (configurable) start on October 1.
    Seems that the CPUs are maxed at i5-4200u and i7-4500u (high-res) and the 735m is only an option for the 15" model (just checked the benchmarks for this one, yuck, glad I only play SC2 occasionally). One site says that the total weight is 2.5 kg (approx. 5 pounds) for the 15" version (however no weight data confirmed from Sony yet). 14" won't be available in Germany, but an 11" version is scheduled for the beginning of 2014.

So far I have yet no info on the hard drive part (2.5" SATA only?; how is the pseudo-Fusion 1TB HDD plus 16 GB SSD implemented?). Also I fear that the modular external batteries/docking stations won't work (no holes/connectors on the bottom).

Apart from that I only found useless new "previews" on the machine. Stay tuned.

-----
    Edit: I saw some other weight data, 1.2 kg (13"), 1.8 kg (14") and 2.0 kg (15").

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  2. paul.p

paul.p Pen Pal - Newbie

The 15" model is also available with Haswell ULV Pentium 3556U

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, thanks, I forgot about the 3556U (though I wouldn't recommend that one). By the way, here is a nice comparison of the performance:
    Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - NotebookCheck.net Tech

- 4500U: "rank" 93
    - 4200U: "rank" 123
    - 3556U: "rank" 246

The performance of the 4500U (1.8-3.0 GHz) is roughly 10-20% better than the 4200U (1.6-2.6 GHz).

There is an overview of the new Haswells at Products (Formerly Haswell) ;
    the 4200U costs 287,- US$ and the 4500U is 398,- US$ (matching the approx. 100 EUR price difference). It looks a bit strange to me, but there is also a 4600U (2.1-3.3 GHz) for the same price tag as the 4500U (398 US$), and my guesstimate is that this one is again 10-20% faster than the 4500U. (Still not really acceptable performance, but we are getting closer...)

Also (may be interesting for the <15" models since there is no dGPU option), there are also the xx50U versions (different min. clock speed, but comparable performance). For some 50-60 US$ more the HD4400 goes to HD5000.

Guess we'll know in 2 weeks which options will be available...

4. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

That guy actually copied what I spent half an hour writing for the community after comparing the features, without even giving me half the credit for it.

If anyone wants the real links, go to the original post:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/730163-vaio-flip-yoga-hinge-comes-sony-14.html#post9365734

@ogi: On the German Amazon site the weight is 2,4Kg, but it's including the package, so it's actually lighter. In the page of the Flip 13 it says 1,5Kg.

5. Vogelbung

Vogelbung Pen Pal - Newbie

Welcome to the Internets. And the Verge for that matter ;)

6. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, guess there's a first time for everything :p

7. hiI'mawesome

hiI'mawesome Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know an exact date we can expect these devices to be released in the U.S.? I know they said fall and it's likely going to come after October 18th, for Windows 8.1, but had anyone found an exact date Sony plans to start selling these laptops?

8. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

The Flip looks very interesting. BUT does anyone know what the various models are? I have seen references to Flip, Fit Flip, and Fit Multi Flip. And the Sony site has a Fit that is apparently available for purchase now. I am confused.

Thanks, Jim

9. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Takanome,

You could find about the models in the European press release:
    Sony - Setting the new standard in personal computing: VAIO® Fit multi-flip

The weights were taken out, but they were:
    Flip 13: 1.2Kg Flip 14: 1.8Kg Flip 15: 2.0Kg

For more info on which prebuilt models will be available, check my list:

Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony - Page 14

We don't know anything yet about Flip 14 models.

10. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK, Sony Fit Multi-Flip is the official name and some people just call it Flip or Fit Flip.
    The Sony Fit is one of the current (lower-end) models. Though it has a touch-screen option (I think) this is not the model that you want ;)

Still no news from the pre-order front, hope it will be available soon ...

JoeS and hawkeye62 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.