Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntzeke

ntzeke Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

yes of course

what i was trying to say is that the helix already uses active cooling that isn't in use when in tablet mode (while the CPU is clocked down).. and still lenovo didn't use a CPU with normal voltages

so it's probably safe to say that at the moment it's simply not possible to cram that much performance into such a small form factor

and with how cpu performance keeps increasing it prolly won't be in the near future.. you could of course reduce the size of the silicon with coming manufacturing sizes (14nm) which would also reduce the heat output at standard voltages
    then you'd have a cpu with standard voltages and little or no cooling but less silicon as compared to other mobile cpus of the same generation which would then again reduce performance.. the gain would be zero

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the link (however the links to the sony site there don't work)! The prices look like those announced in Germany (800-1500 Euro, depending on size and configuration) and I haven't seen any announcement for other countries but Germany. Now, before you convert that into Dollars keep in mind that prices usually translate 1:1 into US$ for technical stuff...

The multi-flip is scheduled for October 31. Does anyone know how Sony's record is when it comes to releases (on time or does it sometimes happen before or after the announced date)? Semester starts on October 21 here and it would be great if ...

4. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

copy/paste the model numbers into google and you'll find the sony press centre pdfs even though the links themselves don't work. I tried it for the SVF15N1Z2EB which is the model i found most interesting and got to the pdf without problems.
    This is what the pdf says:

5. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Would have liked the SVF15N1Z2EB, too. But the high-res versions are scheduled for the end of November; they say 'KW48' in the announcement (week 48, i.e. the last week of November).

Clerish likes this.
  6. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll wait for the high res version, i'm not too much in a hurry and it would make a good christmas present for myself. Also i need to read some reviews about the display quality first. I'm looking into a mobile "desktop replacement" and i'd really appreciate it if the display would be better than my old, muddy, cintiq 21UX. (Which is why so far the Acer R7 sounds like a reasonable candidate for my uses - if only Adobe, SmithMicro etc. went to properly support N-Trig).

7. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm 99% sure that I'll get it as soon as it's available (1080p 15" version); then I'll post my "review" here ;)
    Regards from Göttingen (soon Erfurt)!

8. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have model numbers for the 14 inch variants handy? Those are the ones that interest me most but i didn't have any luck with finding the model numbers so far and info on that intermediate size seems to be scarce.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

First reaction: omg, they're renaming Göttingen! :confused:-

10. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

Somewhere I read that 14"ers are not popular in Germany (and won't be available in Germany). Keep in mind that the announcement happened at the IFA in Germany; that's probably why there are no model numbers around yet.
    (Quite confusing that we get something first, usually we are the last ones to get all the new tech ...)

Haha, nope, just have a temporary assignment coming semester in Erfurt (half way from Göttingen to Leipzig). :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.