Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

I bought a few nice external 1TB USB3 2.5" HDDs, they're cheap, very durable, and very portable. If you want the extra storage, external drives are the best solution for portables, unless you simply don't want to carry them around. For audio editing you will definitely feel the performance increase of an SSD, and the general use performance boost will be nice too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    twospirits likes this.
  2. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

As has already been mentioned: RAM is there to be used.
    That said it never hurts to have more available both for the time being and the future.

Any excess you can use as a RAM cache (Primocache for example) to increase access times on frequently used files and reduce IO on the disk (which is of course a major factor on mass storage life expectancy.. both reads and writes.. and yes SSDs are too worn out by reads)
    I've been doing that on my Desktop PC and it works wonders
    Once you run out of RAM because programs you use in the future may reserve more of it or for whatever reason you can simply decrease or switch off the RAM cache and have enough available.

As for the higher resolution screen: Yes higher resolutions drain the battery faster for 2 reasons: the first being that the GPU has to render more pixels (even in 2D mode the GPU has to work at least a little to get the color of those pixels on screen).
    That one you can avoid by lowering the resolution to 1080p, which however is kind of pointless considering you bought that display to have a higher resolution in the first place.

And the second reason being that the display controller will have more work due to the higher number of pixels it's adressing. That one you cannot avoid regardless of resolution.

However I heard that these high resolutions are pretty damn awesome when drawing. Considering workspace gain the advantage is probably not that big because the screen is small to begin with.. not much workspace you can gain by increasing the resolution, as you'll likely just end up having to increase icon and font size (as an aside: the screen is 220 dpi, that's a retina distance (20/20 vision) of approximately 40cm)

So if you draw a lot and feel you need the higher resolution or don't care about battery life and your wallet by all means go for it...otherwise it's probably better to stick to 1080p :)

When it comes to storage i'd go for the SSD, the speed difference is quite significant.
    The 16GB of the hybrid would be loaded with either the most frequently or the most recently used files.. those don't necessarily have to be OS files.

As for reliability: the hybrid drive has 2 different storage types (SSD and HDD) with 2 different controller types either of which can break at some point making the drive unusable (or severely gimped.. i'm not sure how well hybrid drives handle a failure of the SSD storage or if they can handle it at all).

The reasoning would be that the likelyhood of a failure will statistically be higher on a hybrid drive.
    And on top of that Samsung SSDs have proven to be a lot more reliable than most HDD models on the market so if you are looking for a reliable drive the Samsung SSD is the way to go.

I found that most archiving tasks (non executable data such as videos, pictures and other archive data) on laptops are equally well handled by an external HDD (2,5" preferrably) since they offer adequate sequential performance and 90% of the time you don't need to carry all of your files with you anyway.
    At least that's the case for me.

Last but not least: Hybrids tend to use quite a bit more power than SSDs both in idle and at load (again because of the 2 different storage and controller types)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    twospirits likes this.
  3. Tab Rocker

Tab Rocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazon has 500GB Samsung Pro EVO SSD drives for $340 right now. Sony's 512 SSD is $880. This is a NO BRAINER. Just order the cheapest drive option ($0) on Sony and replace it with a blazing fast SSD!

Don't be fooled, using a hybrid drive or traditional drive is really going to keep this laptop operating at 'mediocre' performance levels - not to mention your battery life goes way down using a spinning disk drive. Spinning disk drives also give off a lot of heat which further kills battery life. If you haven't used a fast SSD your mind will be blown at how big the improvement is. Everything runs smoother and saves and opens MUCH faster. It's totally worth the extra money especially if your working with large files.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Absolutely agree that SSD is the biggest bang for your buck improvement the common user will notice immediately. Stick with SSD, or add your own to save money. (are only the 15a user upgradeable, or all the models??)

Also, I thought new Adobe CC and Manga Studio's (CSP) newest update was scaleable and much better suited for ultra HD+ and windows 8.1 environments??

5. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

The 14A and the 15A have a common 2.5" SATA drive.
    The 13A is upgradeable too, but it has an expensive M.2 drive.

6. Kabigon

Kabigon Pen Pal - Newbie

Are the SSD / HDs upgradable in this Sony device? Not sure if Sony has decided that the HDs/SSDs are soldered in or are they upgradable?

7. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Come on man, at least give a quick read or use the search option on the thread before asking! Just look at the messages before yours.

Clerish likes this.
  8. MartinZone

MartinZone Pen Pal - Newbie

9. Tab Rocker

Tab Rocker Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to play with the 15 Flip today at Best Buy. They had the 13 and 15 both with the standard definition screens. My initial impressions were mixed and frankly I'm a little torn now. Take in mind, I only had 15 minutes to play with the Flip 15.
    On a side note, my main purpose for this laptop is to use it for professional design work and I was looking for specific features and to see if it was a good fit.

CONS:

• Slightly flimsy feeling overall. Keyboard felt a little cheap and flexible. The hinge felt a little sketchy to me when I was trying to pull out the large 15" screen into tablet mode. By comparison, the huge aluminum hinge on the R7 felt much more durable and rigid (no flex) to me.
    • Overall, the laptop was much heavier than I expected..felt the same as the R7 in use.
    • Screen quality didn't blow me away at standard base definition in the 15.5" model. I could see pixels up close and the small text looked slightly jagged and hazy. This could have been the due to BB lighting and the font DPI may have not been optimized. It is definitely worth spending the extra $300 for the higher resolution screen if you are considering the 15.5". By comparison the 13 Flip screen looked WAY better due to the higher DPI. I also thought the Duo screens looked a little more sharp in comparison.
    • This part was definitely surprising: I noticed with a white background, the screen became a touch darker when I tilted the screen down from my direct view. I'm surprised this happened since it's an IPS screen. I only noticed it in landscape mode. Perhaps I'm more sensitive to this because my old IBM X61 SXGA+ doesn't fade or get darker unless I view from an extreme angle. Again, maybe it had something to do with the lighting in BB.
    • I noticed some light leakage on the top part of the screen...not a big deal, but for some it will be annoying.
    • Pen response had a slight lag (catch up) in the the Sony note app, but had a good pen feel against the screen. I was not able to test any art apps so the lag might have to do with the app used. The lag was definitely a red flag but it needs testing in some rely art applications.

Positives:
    • Awesome size for drawing. No competition at this size.
    • Great pen cursor alignment all the way to the edges.
    • Very nice creen quality. Despite the small drawbacks I notice on the standard resolution screen, overall it's really nice to look at. Colors look very accurate. The higher resolution screen should look much better on the 15.5".
    • Although it felt a little flimsy to me, the finish is really nice with the anodized aluminum.
    • Pen size is great.
    • Keyboard spacing felt good on the 15.5". Nice and spread out.
    • Fairly thin design for what it is(but still heavy).

There you have it - my 15 minute impression. I'm more on the fence now than I was before after playing with the Flip 15. Not that it's a bad machine in any way. It's actually a gorgeous machine and I'm still considering purchasing one. On the other hand, I might end up going with one of the Wacom enabled choices or wait for the new R7 with pen. Anyway, I still have to try the FLIP again with SBP or Manga installed to really give it a fair trial. In the end, It just didn't leave me as excited as I hoping for after I left the store.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Actually, that test isn't very fair, because the Flip is inking in OneNote Mobile, and inking sucks in that app for some reason. Stinks on my q552 too, but that device inks perfectly fine in the Desktop version of OneNote. Lag seems to be an issue with the app and its inking. Comparatively, the SP is inking in the TIP, which performs perfectly normally on even 5 year old, very underpowered devices.

I'm sure a device as powerful as the Flip 13 will ink wonderfully. There's already many reports of the Duo 13 drawing very nicely in art programs even.

twospirits and Clerish like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.