Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Plenty of professional mobile work stations.... sadly, none of them are penabled with an active digitizer. But I know what you meant. I think the closest we ever got was with the Fuji T901 offering the dedicated GPU (and being full voltage of course).
    I was hoping Wacom would fill the niche with their Companion, but nope. nothing new there really...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. Vogelbung

Vogelbung Pen Pal - Newbie

Almost certainly the app. But I have noted broadly similar lag on the Duo 13 as I have on the Tablet2 in Onenote (though obviously the Duo has pressure sensing, so there's that overhead), which was an unwelcome surprise. It's just enough for me with my speed scrawling to put me off my natural stride.

3. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know whether the panel in the Flip will be compatible with Wacom digitizer pens? Since it's optional and all.. would mean i don't have to buy a new pen.

I know it's using an N-trig panel not a Wacom one but I never actually knew whether N-trig and Wacom products are compatible.

I suppose not but doesn't hurt to ask :)

Also ist the N-trig input lag more noticeable or not? Never used one so i have no way of comparing the 2 but the lag shown in one of the vids was quite substantial (as has been mentioned).. this would make or break the device for me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I have never used N-trig, but I'm fairly certain they are not compatible.

5. Mesosphere

When I was shopping for my x201t I really wanted a dedicated nvidia GPU for CUDA. There just really wasn't one (in a tablet PC). These days I've given up on that idea. Its a better idea for me (my GPU usage is obviously completely different from you) to remote into desktop machines with more powerful GPU's than can be found in any mobile computer.

The bright side for those that need a mobile GPU though is that the gap between integrated and mobile dedicated GPU seems to be closing quickly, so maybe in a few generations you wont need a dedicated GPU any more. That wont fix the low voltage CPU problem though =P

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Having a fanless iCore that can then be made a quad-core with a fan is what'll fix that! :)

Mesosphere likes this.
  7. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

Not trying to intrude on the conversation since i haven't read all of it but isn't that exactly what for example the Helix is already doing?

8. Ashers

Ashers Pen Pal - Newbie

? The Helix also uses low voltage processors

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Agreed. All the current icore tablets are using fans currently because of heat. My understanding is that as the die shrinks for the newer generation of CPUs, the heat decreases as well. Eventually (Broadwell? Whatever comes after it?), we ought to be able to have a 14nm die and then we might get a fanless/ iPad-thin icore tablet. When that arrives, we might finally begin discussion of a quad-core tablet occurring, because heat will be so much less of an issue. Currently, you just need too thick of a device/ too big of a heat sink for it to really function as a tablet.

10. Mesosphere

We will have quad core tablets next month! Unfortunately they will be slower than the current dual cores (Bay Trail) =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.