Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Yes, your certainly right that the majority of people looking at these kind of devices are not the same ones who need the quad core CPU's. Still, the macbook Pro aren't using them. They know that their user base is serious about getting heavy photoshop work done etc etc. which is what differentiates the AIr from the MBP. I think this thing is more specced out like a MBP than a Air aside from the CPU. I'm pretty sure the power would be welcome in many content creation circles. Heck, just try opening up a 300DPI poster sized painting on a ULV. Not gonna be smooth, which rules out some comic artists from buying this device instead of a macbook pro.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

It's a great machine, but its weight is not one of its strengths. At 4.6 lbs for the Fit 15 it's heavier than the T902!

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Fair enough. Of course, it's a 15.6" screen versus 13.3". That's a pretty huge difference.

The Flip 13, which is the same size screen is half the thickness and weight of a t902 though. I'm not saying size and weight are everything, of course, but for a lot of people they matter a lot. I know that t902 offers a lot of power in that build.

The better comparison is my older x200t to the Flip 13. My x200t has the same basic size, weight, thickness, and build as the t902, but is waaaay, waaay less powerful. For that kind of comparison, the Flip is a clear winner.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    Taikero likes this.
  4. ogi

ogi Pen Pal - Newbie

@Zero:
    Thanks for pointing out the backlit keyboard on the T902. I knew that it was announced and I searched for it, but last time I checked it out I couldn't find it (German Fujitsu site, though).

@stoneseeker:
    Totally agree on the ULV processor (I think Sony advertises the smaller versions of the Flip as Ultrabooks so maybe ULV is a requirement there, but still a pity that full voltage is not offered as an option on the bigger models. At least the upgrade pricing for Sony seemed reasonable to me, ehm, coming from Mac-land). By the way, another issue with the Flip is the glossy-only screen...

Both machines would do the job for me (and I think that both, Fujitsu and Sony, make reliable "business" laptops/convertibles, which is even more important than the pure specs).
    So far the Flip has the edge for me, mainly because of the size. If the T902 were 15" with a brighter screen (and a dGPU) ... well, still some weeks before I buy, maybe we'll hear some news about the T903 by then.

5. Steve B

Indeed. Screen size is important to me, but if I could get a brighter, 15" screen on a Wacom t903, then h*ll yeah, I'd get that.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think it maybe the app, if you have read Stoneseekers review thread for the Duo 13, which has the same specs, he said that with the right app it can be a night or day difference. Though in some apps, at higher DPI, the ULV cpu does start to become a hamper.

I really like the Flip 13, and it it isn't much bigger than the Duo 13, while offering the same or better battery life, it could be a real winner. That said I really hope Sony also brings out a 11in variant.

8. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm expecting Sony to out do Lenovo. ThinkPads are too cheap to compete with Sony products now.

Even if Sony uses N-Trig , it should still be pretty good.

9. ChrisRS

ChrisRS Scribbler - Standard Member

Not just artists. A large screen tablet would be great for AutoCAD. Still single threaded so speed not cores matters. I would trade the extra weight for full voltage.

10. Steve B

Agreed. No one has yet caught on to the market for a "professional mobile work station", where the goal is semi-mobility, but never at the cost of power. I think there's a real market for expensive 5 lb, 15" penabled, full power tablet pcs. It's probably pretty small, but the mark up could be high, because pros would pay it for the right machine.

Mesosphere likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.