Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Gkhn

Gkhn Pen Pal - Newbie

The 13A has a magnetic charger. Pretty sure they showed that at the IFA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-QE83s75uI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    @03:32.

2. quadpatch

quadpatch Pen Pal - Newbie

So that's where they got that from. Can any owner confirm this? It looks like he doesn't know what he's talking about, since he pushes the connector in. It also isn't mentioned in any of the info about the flip 13A on the official page.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

3. Kabigon

Kabigon Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone here getting the 15A with the higher resolution? Just trying to get some opinions on it.

4. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

Well to be fair though I think we've already established that the info that was given to the press at the hands on event and the info on the official page aren't necessarily the same.
    Not really sure what's so important about it being magnetic though.. to me personally that feature is rather unimportant.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  5. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

The charger as far as I understand is not magnetic, but it's very tiny as you can see. The charger holds in place phisically, not by magnetism.

Is this what you all were asking about?

-------------------------------

And sincerely, after three days "playing" with it, I say it sincerely, the only problem that this laptop has is the fan noise. Maybe the keyboard keys could have more pressure, but it's ok.

6. Gkhn

Gkhn Pen Pal - Newbie

Nooo not magnetic? :(
    I really like those magnetic clicks you get with the surface /macbook.

7. Miles Wolf

I have seen and tested the magnetic charger of the Surface Pro and the Pro 2 and I don't think it's a good idea. It disconnects so damn easily. It's very uncomfortable.

8. Gkhn

Gkhn Pen Pal - Newbie

The main benefit of a magnetic charger is that if you happen to get your leg tangled around the cord you don't launch the device into infinity when you stand up and walk away. Also in my personal experience those mechanical chargers wear to a point where they don't charge anymore. You have to pull on the cord to get it to make contact. Which sucks cuz you only have a year warranty on the charger.

9. Miles Wolf

As you can see, the charger is tiny, as I said in my first message after recieving the laptop, the charger doesn't hold strongly as a normal charger, so the charger disconnects if you pull it a bit. I think this has been done thinking on the tablet mode, where you move the PC a lot, so don't worry, it doesn't look that the laptop will fall down, the charger will disconnect before.

10. Gkhn

Gkhn Pen Pal - Newbie

True. I also never tripped on the cord or something. I just like the gadgety feel of magnets.

11. Kabigon

Kabigon Pen Pal - Newbie

Can too much RAM ever hurt, or only help? Just wondering if unused RAM would affect CPU/battery processing/life/etc. ;)

12. Miles Wolf

Does it hurt to you to have a bigger desk to work? No, right? So that's the same for a PC. The system can work more fluid, and don't forget that the RAM is shared betwen the CPU and the GPU. That's why I preferred 8GB instead of 4GB.

13. Miles Wolf

I made a video showing the charger connection (I just uploaded it, so it may take a while to be available):

[video=youtube_share;WyMglAWrqKk]http://youtu.be/WyMglAWrqKk[/video]

Hope this helps.

14. AndroidPCguy

AndroidPCguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Aight you at your computer now? Cuz once in just don't close your laptop

15. Flyingcircus

Flyingcircus Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a legitimate question as more of something often also means more power used in order to keep it going.
    This is also true for RAM as you'll have more adress space that needs periodic refreshing and as far as I am aware the refresh cycle is not yet able to skip empty rows in which no data is present, but such algorithms are in evaluation.
    But the power consumed in that way is almost negligible for notebook batteries.

However with more RAM you may actually be able to improve battery life by using a RAM cache... RAM doesn't require as much power to access files (or rather is faster at accessing files while consuming a similar amount of power) and you can avoid windows accessing the swap file on your mass storage.
    I would recommend reducing the swap file to minimum size anyway if you have plenty of RAM available.

16. fl0werstar

fl0werstar Pen Pal - Newbie

In the meantime, while I'm waiting for my 13A, I thought I'd ask you guys if there are any touch controlled games I might want to check out on this beauty. Mind you, I'm not a gamer (though I know quite a few, so I'm more or less familiar with the 'conventional' types), but I'd quite like to check out some if there are any. I'm thinking along the lines of android games (from Asphalt 8 to Arcane Legends and the like), which also play well on tablets. It must be fun to hang out on the couch in the evening while racing around or killing orcs. :) Please let me know if you've come across any good ones, or if you know of good sources I might want to read. THX!

17. fobboy

fobboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know if the charger is similar to previous VAIOs? I am interested in getting the external battery from Anker with the flip.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B45EOYS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics

18. quadpatch

quadpatch Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm really looking forward to trying out some RTS games on the Flip. An old favourite of mine (that I used to play with the wacom tablet) was Command & Conquer Generals, so I hope that works as well with the N-Trig stylus. Perhaps Starcraft 2 could also work. There are more touch compatible games like Civilisation V. Lisa from Mobile Tech Reviews likes that one.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

19. Gkhn

Gkhn Pen Pal - Newbie

Definitely Roller Coaster Tycoon.

20. Houngan

Houngan Pen Pal - Newbie

Gaming with a stylus was something i looked forward too, but when i tried it on the duo 13, i was disillusioned.
    You miss the keys a lot (to organize troops, for building commands, etc), so much that i even used onscreen-keys (Comfort Software: On-Screen Keyboard for Windows 7, Vista, XP with Touchscreen) *lol*

Another example was diablo 2. I did not expect that this game sucks so much without fast switching of skills. Oh and damn you need the <alt> key a lot to display the loot haha!

I don't know... For gaming i still prefer mouse and keyboard. If i want to game, i do it with the leisure that a great hobby deserves. But maybe, i am just too fussy ;)