Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

About the battery, thought it cause there was an alternative battery for my Xperia X10 with 300mah more and the same size.
    Other question, someone found some good notebook cases/bags? I have a bag, but need small case for the flip to put it in my bag. Sony dont offer some specific bags for the flip 13 :x

2. Houngan

Houngan Pen Pal - Newbie

"Higher ampere wouldnt necessary mean higher Wh and higher battery life. The simple formula for Wh (battery capacity in one hour) is Voltage*mAh=Wh. So a laptop with really high voltage and low mAh could have similar Wh as a laptop with low voltage but high mAh. However, the "term "Wh" is a far better formula of understanding battery life, and is basically the only thing we need to know. For example, if the battery is 60Wh, and the computer only needs 1 W, then the computer could last for 60 hours, or only 1 hour if the computer needs 60 Watt. So the only thing we need to look at is the Wh.

A Sony Vaio Pro 13 has 38Wh, and reviews with an i7 CPU, SSD harddrive, shows that the battery life is still really good. So an Sony Vaio Multi-Flip 13A with i5 processor, SSD and 36~38Wh battery would (theoretically) have atleast the same batterylife, if we would assume that the motherboard or some other component wont consume more energy."

(source: Vaio Flip: the Yoga hinge comes to Sony - Page 37)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. teiger

teiger Pen Pal - Newbie

You think that the battery will decrease a lot if you got an i7?

4. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

I have just ordered it.

13"+ i5 + 8GB + 256GB.

Maybe next week I'll recieve it according to Sony. I'm from Spain.

Of course when I have it I'll answer all questions you have to help you as you all helped here. :)

5. khawarspirit

khawarspirit Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all.

So there's not much talk in the thread about the 14" version. It'll definitely have better battery timing than the 15", won't it? But how much better? Most websites have just reviewed the 15" version. So if anyone here has the 14, do comment on how well it works.

6. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

The reason why the 15" seems to be popular in reviews and probably will have better appeal than the 14 incher to consumers is because the 15" comes with added goodies. You can have higher than HD res screen and dedicated nvidia gpu (all others come with the HD4XXX stuff). Plus, who can say no to all that real estate?...

7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Hey, few pages ago, a member provided a link to the teardown down by no other than Sony themselves:
    [video=youtube_share;KFxufF4LSS0]http://youtu.be/KFxufF4LSS0[/video]

This machine is really teasing me, but the strategy I wanted to take is to buy the 15 incher with i5 + super HD res + nvidia GPU and then the lowest cheapest options there is and upgrade everything myself.

However, from the video it seems that there is only 1 SODIMM slot. Did I see correct or anybody else see it? That would mean that if you want 16GB of RAM you'll need a 1-stick unit, which I haven't heard of any in SODIMM version.

Secondly, the hardrive, of course it will make sense to buy the mechanical drive option and then spend $180 on amazon and buy a Samsung SSD, however, do anybody know if this the 7mm or the 9mm one?

I believe, the best thing would be to wait until someone upgrade theirs and post videos but guys like me just can't wait... Cr Card has the shakes trying to jump out of the wallet when I see the Sony.com site.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  8. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

There's only one slot because that is the Flip 14. You can see it because it has ethernet, but only 2 usb.

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Interesting I think I saw on Sony's site that you can get 16gb, but it's two 8gb sticks.

10. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

There's nothing wrong here, the Flip 15 has two slots while the Flip 14 has only one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.