Sony Vaio Flip PC

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Taikero, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

In a nutshell: "Working pen" means working pressure sensitivity. Otherwise yes, Ntrig works equivalent to a mouse in photoshop.

2. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, but I would be able to draw with Photoshop normally, but without presure sensitivity? Is that the only difference? Because I'm thinking on buying the Vaio Flip and I can live without this feature.

3. ForzaqC

ForzaqC Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes it would still control the cursor and allow you to draw without pressure sensitivity. If you are just looking to draw/make art, then you might enjoy the Art Rage software that comes pre-installed. I'm pretty sure it does support pressure input from the N-trig pen.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It looks like I'm going to be getting the Q584 as well. Ah well, dual setup it will have to be (hopefully Samsung will update the Ativ Book 8).

Sony have a battery life of 5.5 hours on their website, so it seems about right.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

YEah, the numbers makes more sense now since it came out that they are using a small capacity battery inside compared to the relatively large battery in the Duo 13.

6. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I dunno why they would do that, a real shame.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Teardown video of the Flip with high-quality views and brief explanations of the innards.

Sony Flip PC gets the teardown treatment | Sony

All on their own blog site, apparently!

That's pretty cool.

It looks like a *very* easy machine to open with only a very small number of screws, (only 4 or 6).

The battery, memory and hard drive are all modular, and the fan is right there if you want to clean out dust and whatnot. The only trouble might be if you have to replace the keyboard, but frankly, if I had to choose, I'd always opt to have easy access to the above mentioned components.

This is a very considerate bit of engineering from Sony! It means the Flip can be easily user-maintained so long as replacements/upgrades are available from third party vendors.

Compared to other notable entries in the tablet world, this is huge; The Surface Pro is glued shut with what looks like tar and needs a heat gun and a lot of skill to open, and nobody knows yet what is inside the Wacom Companion series because it too has no screws or access points.

If that N-Trig system turns out to work well with smooth drivers, etc., then this is going to be such a winner!

I really want to see some reviews with the Flip running Photoshop.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    leaftye, pictogramax and ogi like this.
  8. Clerish

Clerish Pen Pal - Newbie

Keep in mind that the video shows the Flip 14 (there's an ethernet port and 2 usb).

I'm not sure if the Flip 13 will be as easy to open, given its thinness.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There's not much difference between the thickness of the 13 and the 14, both at around 17 mm at the thickest point.

In any case, I think it can be safely assumed that the three will work pretty much the same in terms of chassis and board design. It would take more time and money to come up with three completely different engineering approaches for each of the three sizes, especially given that the external design is basically identical on each of the three units.

Solutions tend to self-simplify with creative teams. You find a way which works and you stick with it simply to keep your work load down. In any case, I'm primarily interested in what can be expected from the 15" version.

10. fobboy

fobboy Pen Pal - Newbie

Modular is good and all...but would there be any replacements available? Definitely looking at replacing battery for a higher capacity one if available and hard drive if it's just a simple SSD since Sony is charging $800 CDN for 500gb. Definitely not the perfect convertible I was hoping for...but I'd probably bite since it's the only thing available based on what I'm looking for (convertible feature + dedicated GPU + at least HD)...I'd bite harder if the above components are easily and cheaply replaceable. So any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.