Sony Vaio Flip 15 fan noise issue!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Flipendo, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flipendo

Flipendo Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Vaio Flip 15 and I am desperado about it's fan noise. Even after the Vaio full updates (including last BIOS version), even after Win 8.1 update, even after all drivers updates, even after setting power plan to silent... the fan is completely annoying! It starts for no particular reason, even if I am not doing multitasking, even if the laptop has just no activity. It can run for 20 mins at a high level of noise then stop. It can start and run at relanti with a soft noise (still annoying) or, if I start some little game, it can boost up, like a machine from hell.

Please let me know if there is any solution for this! Vaio Flip is a wonderful laptop, with super-features, but this fan problem is so annoying! I am seriously thinking to return it, even if I wouldn't like that. Still, I am searching for a solution. But I'm out of ideas for now. There are tons of similar problems with the Flips, maybe you found something that works, guys!

Thanks.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well, it sounds like you've explored all the avenues I've read about toward a working solution on the fan noise without any positive results.

Maybe it's time to return it and get one of the 15" Acer R7's instead. Aren't they basically the same machine? I lost interest in them both when I learned that N-Trig just wasn't *quite* cutting it, so I don't know. Maybe it has fan problems as well.

3. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

I have not heard of anyone having fan problems with the R7. When I first got mine, what I thought was the fan was actually the hard drive. Replaced that with an SSD; most of the time the fan does not run, so the machine is totally quiet. When the fan does come on, it is generally a soft whoosh and usually doesn't stay on long.

Just tried FurMark on the R7 and the fan did spin up, but it was never an objectionable amount of noise.

Sony certainly has a way with annoyingly loud fans. My Vaio VPC-Z notebook can be quite obnoxious at times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.