Sony VAIO Flip 11A announced

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by JoeS, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanb85

seanb85 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

First post on the forum so be kind :hi2:

Been after a new laptop for a while now. Last one was the thinkpad edge 11 a few years ago which I bought when companies were really pushing netbooks to consumers (but I wanted something with a bit more power than an atom)

So now firms are really pushing hybrids. Kind of used to the small form factor but don't think I could go any less than 11.6. Which kind of rules out the surface and the venue 11. Plus I think sony have it spot on with their convertible design. Detachable keyboards have merit but being able to just tuck the keyboard behind the display is ingenious

Anyway, enough of the background, I think this is the perfect model for me. Also have it on good authority that it WILL be upgradable to at least a core i5! If sony get this right it could blow the surface pro 2 out of the water, what do you all think..

Any news I see online about the product ill post here....mooted an end of feb release date so hopefully it's a bit sooner...

2. remo26

remo26 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mobile Tech Review's video hands-on review states that the Flip 11 will be configurable like the Tap 11, but also able to go up to 8GB RAM. This means up to i7 4610Y CPU. I posted on another forum a question about performance of this chip vs. the i74650U on the Duo 13 for productivity use case (3 Word, PowerPoint, 3 Excel, Outlook, browser w/4-5 tabs w/ 1 YouTube). This was the reply:

So, the main issue for me is battery life. Since I want this to be a desktop replacement, I wouldn't consider the Pentium option. I also hope they come up with a solution to store the pen. Even a simple clip on like the Duo 13 would be better than nothing. The swing-out inkwell would be nice too.

Question: when they quote the size as 11. 6", does that mean net screen size without the bezel? I am still debating whether I should go with the Duo 13. It just looks too bulky to take notes while standing, cradling in my arm. But, I'm now concerned about feeling cramped on the Flip 11 taking notes in portrait mode while standing. Any experience with these issues would help.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I really do like these Flip designs. The 11A is a bit (15%?) heavier than the Surface Pro 2 with type cover, so fairly comparable, but it will be much more stable for lap use.

As for the 11A I am still a little surprised at the weight. Supposedly the Flip 11A and the 13A weigh almost the same, at least if I got the numbers right: 2.82lbs vs. 2.89lbs. For that small a difference I might prefer to get the larger screen. You know, if I didn't get an SP2 already.

4. seanb85

seanb85 Pen Pal - Newbie

Remo26 - from what I've seen the size of a laptop is usually declared by screen net size so as long as you go to a shop and see other models and you're ok with them then you should be safe...

JoeS - I was also surprised by the weight. Seems crazy that they havent managed to reduce the weight even though they've given up nearly 2" on screen size...

Ok, we'll have a look at the sony uk website. Flip 11s are now up for configuration and order BUT (and this is a huge but) only different pentium and no intel cores available......

Think the flip 13 may be my best option now....or the thinkpad yoga but the hefty weight is a bit of a concern....

5. ykvishal

ykvishal Scribbler - Standard Member

Did anyone buy Flip 11A? Can anyone share their experience with Flip 11A and if possible compare it with Surface Pro 2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.