Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

1. skallal

skallal Pen Pal - Newbie

What resolution do you use on your Duo 11. If I use the device as a tablet, I can use 1920 x 1080. But if I try to use it as a laptop, the higher resolutions don't work for me. I think 1600 x 900 works a little better. But 1366 x 768 is simply too low resolution IMHO.

The other day I had to sit in another office and use my work desktop remotely. 1920 x 1080 was simply too painful to use for any amount of desktop type work. But I was using remote desktop, and using a lower resolution meant a lower the resolution on the remote machine.

Sometimes I use the built in and magnifier utility to use high resolution when using the tablet as a laptop. But only 2X magnification does not mess up the true type fonts. It would be nice if 1.5 X would work, but it distorts the fonts.

That said the Duo 11 is great on an external monitor and keyboard, as a desktop

I am middle aged, but have decent close-up vision without my glasses on. I can use my iPhone without glasses or a magnifier. Yet I find 1080p to be a challenge when using the Dup 11 as a laptop.

If only there was a better magnifier utility?

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have another question for Duo 11 users--
    Has anyone been able to get Artdock to work on it? There have been a number of artists that have used this device, but I've not yet found out if Ntrig works with Artdock. Does it? Has anyone tried it out yet?

3. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

What do you have the DPI set to?

4. Jorj_X_McKie

Jorj_X_McKie Pen Pal - Newbie

Isn't that Artdock specific for the Samsung Slate 7, a Wacom machine?

So it is mid June, and no news from either N-Trig or Sony about pen drivers. Sony doesn't respond to my support emails, and the one time I tried calling, the rep was so low-information I wanted to scream. N-Trig has removed the pen drivers from their support page, and Sony AFAICT has never had them listed and still doesn't. Do these companies *want* to fail? I'm giving it until Fall, and if Wintab support hasn't happened, or isn't immanent, I will sell the Duo 11 for a Surface Pro 2 and never, ever buy a Sony product again. N-Trig goes without saying... phooey!

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

That's a bummer man. Have you tried calling Ntrig support and talking with them? I was really hoping they would pull up their britches and become a viable alternative to Wacom...

6. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have not been able to get it to work :-( Would love to be able to though!

7. Jorj_X_McKie

Jorj_X_McKie Pen Pal - Newbie

Re calling N-Trig... no but I have received two emails from their tech support and both times was told that they are working on new drivers, implying but not stating that Wiintab support is coming. The last one said ETA was "2013". As far as I know, digitizers are all N-Trig does, right? It's not like it is a small resource depleted division of some mega corp... if this is 'what they do' then they seem remarkably bent on self-destruction, or losing out to the competition at the very least. I suspect they probably have 3 managers for every engineer! LOL!

8. BurntOrngeLonghorn84

BurntOrngeLonghorn84 Scribbler - Standard Member

Remember to give software companies who don't code for Windows APIs just as hard of a time as you are hardware manufacturers!

Personally I think there is some collusion in the ecosystem, but it's probably too small to make a blip on the DOJ's radar.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

For what it's worth, it's not specific to the Samsung Slate 7 at all, but it is Wacom. I wasn't sure if anyone had tried it on an Ntrig device, and so thought I'd ask. But the Artdock works on a number of other tablets like the Surface, some of the Atom slates, some Lenovo devices, etc.

10. technikhaus

technikhaus Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got to say, I love the duo. But I will never buy Sony again...
    Purchased my Duo two months ago, and after a week or so, the Shift and 'E' key were very difficult to use.
    I went back to the store when I could next go there, which was about a month after buying it. They sent it away for repair then and there.
    It's now been a month and I still do not have it back yet. I was going to go back tomorrow and demand a new machine, as this is just ridiculous, except it has just started snowing, so I won't be going anywhere tomorrow :(

Has anybody else here had such bad service from Sony?
    They're saying that they're waiting for a new Keyboard to arrive in the country, but that it's back-ordered...