Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falconxp

falconxp Pen Pal - Newbie

A few weeks ago I stored my duo after a normal shutdown for a week with 48% battery left do to some testing with a Fujitsu Q702. After a week 2% charge was lost. This is very good in my opinion. My Sony VCP-Z looses 8% after a day:). Sleep mode is a bit tricky for a week. You don't know if it's accidentally turned and uses all the power left.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. pooketz

pooketz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there! I'm having trouble having this driver do anything for my pressure sensitivity in Photoshop. Please, would you mind telling me about your steps in installing? The installer/calibrator itself does nothing for me. :( Any suggestions?

Really hoping to get this working.
    Best,
    Chris

3. Pommie

Pommie Pen Pal - Newbie

Thankyou guys, I appreciate the info. Looks like the duo won't be for me, really need the standby battery life of an iPad. It pains me to say that I'll be looking at an HP envy X2. Whilst the performance not get close to the duo, it does get excellent battery life and can still run native x86 windows programs. I'm annoyed as I really liked the duo.

4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think what we're trying to say is it does have decent standby performance. The Envy X2 has amazing battery life, just about the best, but so too does the Thinkpad Tablet 2 and the Samsung ATIV 500T. The problem is, depending on what your needs are, the best battery life in the world is useless if when its on you can't use the programs you need efficiently. I've had a lot of these over the past few months and while I've been relatively impressed with the Atom devices in a general use environment (i.e. Web Browsing, MS Office apps, Win 8 Apps), I constantly found myself disappointed with two things. One, performance when ever wanting to have more than a couple things going at one time. And by that I mean a real life honest to goodness need to have more than one thing going. So for example, researching using Internet Explorer while referencing a PDF and periodically taking notes in OneNote. This was a no go from a usability stand point. And would lock up if I even thought about having multiple tabs in IE going. If I closed any one of them down things would run okay. And thats just one example. I have several. The second problem was with storage. Its just flat out not enough. 64GB with 30GB available right out of the box, not good. Not even with an SD card. Plus the SD card doesn't really run fast enough to be functional and anything too much more than additional storage. Now, I'm a Marketing and Creative Director so I use a lot of large files and resource intensive programs, but I even tested these Atom devices at a basic level and found that I just needed more. Obviously everyone's needs are different, so you'll have to filter my opinion.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

5. Pommie

Pommie Pen Pal - Newbie

The extra performance would be awesome to have, although I'm not willing to sacrifice the battery life for it. At the end of the day, I'm not going to be a performance user. It sounds like you need the performance! For me I'll be used as a portable media consumption device, for the web, photos and running Metatrader 4 for Forex trading on the go. I'm hoping the atom will be able to handle this. If not, the Sony duo it will be!

6. czm2000

Sounds like you should do just fine then with an Atom device. Hope it works out well for you.

7. unicronic

unicronic Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm wondering if anyone has any additional information regarding this screen burn effect mentioned earlier in the thread.

For myself I experience the shadow of previously used, but closed, apps burnt into my screen. This effect disappears if I turn off the screen for 10 minutes.

I took it to Sony Service Centre and the engineer argued with me that this is normal for the machine.

I've tried 60hz and 40hz, I've also tried the stock graphic drivers and even updated to the Intel one with no change.

Is anyone having the same issue and is anyone absolutely NOT having this issue?

Without enough feedback I can go back to Sony and get this resolved because all in all this is a great piece of hardware.

8. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am definitely experiencing screen burn-in. The odd thing, is that I don't recall seeing this when I first got the Duo. The only difference from then till now, is that I started cranking up the brightness a lot more ever since I put that dim oem sony screen protector on. I recently changed screen protectors a non-oem, clear protector and can now actually use the Duo at 20% brightness again, and I do get less burn in. However, its still odd that I don't recall getting any burn in when I first got the tablet. I don't know if this makes sense or if this is even technologically possible, but maybe constant usage at high brightness somehow degraded the screen?

9. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

Im absolutely not having this problem ...
    Id like to try to repoduce this thoug. So all I gotta do is leaving the screen on with like Eclipse for maybe an hour and then close it, right ?
    By apps, do you mean Metro ?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  10. czm2000

Yeah, mines definitle gotten worse with time. Meaning, that it happens more frequently and at a greater degree. When I first got the Duo it was only occasionally and not very noticeable. Much more evident now :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.