Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

2. ajamils

ajamils Pen Pal - Newbie

3. ajamils

ajamils Pen Pal - Newbie

4. Ahkyaraeka

Ahkyaraeka Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys, I'm just bought Vaio Duo 11 2 Days ago.. everything is great except for the design of the pen. It kind of small and the pen tip is quite large. I'm just wondering, will it be possible to install Wacom driver and use with Wacom stylus? If cannot be use, I would like to know why. Is it because sony hardware don't support Wacom software? I've been googling for a while. I can't really find an answer and my head start to spin. Please help.. :)

5. daniel frisbee

daniel frisbee Pen Pal - Newbie

the duo uses N-Trig technology rather than Wacom so a Wacom pen will not work. The surface pro uses Wacom technology but it's not clear whether other pens can be used with it (to me at least). The surface pro's pen is a lot thinner but seems more accurate.

6. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

In case anyone is interested, here is my solution to not having an oem place to put the stylus, and NOT losing the stylus :)

-short clip on lanyard on the stylus cap
    -piece of bent black paperclip on the stylus
    -piece of bent black paperclip on the Duo's vent

This way i can attach the cap to either the Duo or the stylus when I'm taking notes, and I can close the cap and attach it to the Duo when I'm done. I typically use this configuration around the house, or when I'm outside studying. I obviously prefer to either put the stylus in the sheet battery silo or the Sony case when I'm actually packing the Duo away that way the pen doesn't scratch the Duo's finish. But when the Duo is in use, this configuration helps me to always make sure the stylus and stylus cap are kept from getting lost.

I bought a bulk of the lanyards and have no issues sharing, so if anyone wants a similar config, I'll send 3 lanyards out for a $2 paypal ( s o n u s "at" j h u "dot" e d u)assuming you are in the US. Sorry I didn't bulk order paperclips, but I figure everyone has a paper clip lying around somewhere.

2013-02-23 16.19.55sm.jpg 2013-02-23 16.20.17sm.jpg 2013-02-23 16.21.31.jpg 2013-02-23 20.29.40.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The surface pro uses Wacom technology but it's not clear whether other pens can be used with it (to me at least)...>>

Daniel: The Surface Pro appears to use a new-generation Wacom pen. Nevertheless, older Wacom tabletPC pens are compatible (but may not track quite as well as the new-generation pens). There is a specific discussion thread about this on the Microsoft forum. Because the Surface Pro uses a Wacom-based digitizer, N-trig pens will not work with the Pro.

sonus: Very clever modification. Nice work!

8. daniel frisbee

daniel frisbee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Vaio Duo 11 owners,

I've been moaning about the screen on my vaio duo flickering, it kind of strobes, and varies according to the brightness setting. (I also moan about the stylus accuracy). A few others have also complained of the same thing. Having taken my duo with me from the uk to the states on a trip, I stumbled on a sony centre. I took the duo in there, and they said it definitely has a problem. I compared it to one of theirs and theirs did not flicker, well it seemed to incredibly slightly but not anything like mine. They said they would replace it on the spot if it were an American model but as different units vary from region to region they could not. I also thought the screen on the American duo seemed quite different, less contrast I thought. I also have the burn in issue which I don't really care about so much but they had not seen that before either. Strangely I also found their stylus seemed to be slightly more sensitive/accurate and did less of a pigs ear on diagonal lines (though still not great). Had another play with a surface pro and they stylus really works significantly better.

So- The point of this message is, if your screen flickers and you thought this is just the way it is, a real-life sony tech dude tells me otherwise and that they should be repaired under warranty by sony. It also seems that the models vary around the world more than one would expect. I'll be hoping to get mine repaired in the uk though I suspect sony uk will be as unhelpful as possible. (say what you will about the yanks but customer service does seem to be at a higher standard)

-posted this on notebookforum and tabletforum

9. ajamils

ajamils Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anybody found a better carrying case for the Duo?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

10. falconxp

falconxp Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the original case for the Duo from Sony in combination with a Crumpler backpack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.