Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

Youre right, it does do that wiggly thing if I draw really slow, its kinda the thing where you hold the pen still and the pointer moves around a tiny bit.
    So if youre drawing real slow and the pointer moves around, the result will be those wiggly lines.
    I drew from really slow left to faster on the right.
    That said, I never realized this until now, but then again I dont draw seriously.
    strokes.jpg

2. falconxp

falconxp Pen Pal - Newbie

Same problem with firefox.Tabs are ok in chrome and IE but too bulky in Firefox.

3. falconxp

falconxp Pen Pal - Newbie

Waterfox and Firefox Aurora have the same issue.

4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't seem to have the screen flicker problem and I use my brightness turned down, usually around 40% and use all sorts of design software.

What I do have though is burn in. It's crazy. If I use the screen bright for a while (80% or so), for even 30min plugged in, and then unplug to go work out or just to move to another room, when I switch screens or say I start a net flix show (entertainment while I work out) the bottom task bar is burned into the bottom of the screen. It's not super bright, more like a ghosting effect, but bothersome none the less. Goes away after about 15 minutes, but for the money, and the brand, I expect better.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

5. daniel frisbee

daniel frisbee Pen Pal - Newbie

gradient.jpg

Yes I also get the burn in, particularly noticeable when heading to the metro screen.

With this gradient image, on my duo on all but the top brightness setting there is flickering/strobing. Bands glide up and down the screen at different speeds, it looks like a crt monitor being filed by a video camera. I'm trying to ascertain whether my vaio is faulty or if they are all a bit crap. Apologies for wallowing on the problem- but since all software I use has grey backgrounds it is particularly bad although I also notice it during video playback and on any images with mid-tones.

Somebody mentioned a gamma-autocorrect function that can be turned on and off, is it possible this could be causing my strobing?
    For reference, stare into the gradient image attached here and switch through the different brightness settings. If you notice absolutely no flicker it would seem I have a bad unit.. (which hopefully sony would then exchange..?

many thanks

6. daniel frisbee

daniel frisbee Pen Pal - Newbie

(much more noticeable when fullscreen images are the same, when the screen is broken up into different windows with different colours/content the effect is lessened. (not gone)

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No screen flicker as I go through the different levels of brightness on that gradient image. Hmmm....part of me wonders if different people have a different level of sensitivity to it. I have perfect 20/15 vision (Lasik surgery about a year ago), so I know it's not an eye site thing, at least I don't think so.

8. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

very interesting, I've never noticed it before, but now I see jittery lines you guys are talking about when I draw slowly.

I can totally see how this would be a major annoyance if you wanted to put down some slow, precise lines. That sucks.

I draw pretty fast and loose and hadn't run into this in my normal use so far, and I'm hoping that continues to be the case. Of course now that I know about it I'm probably going to be noticing it all the time now! :(

9. leopsoares

leopsoares Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm from Brazil. My task bar is burned with only 5 minutes of use.

10. Jorj_X_McKie

Jorj_X_McKie Pen Pal - Newbie

Daniel, I haven't had any video strobing and haven't had to hunt for the 60 vs 40 Hz settings. I do get some kind of video refresh glitch after turning it on from cold after a few seconds, but its a non-issue really. The stylus works very well, but it does show the same artifacting jaggies.I'm surprised I never noticed it, but I never draw that slowly, and it is mostly on diagonal lines, so this is a non-issue for me.

I also checked my Galaxy Note 10.1 and old HTC Flyer, and while they both have some diagonal jaggies, I'd say only about a third as much as the Sony Duo 11. N-Trig jiggle test.jpg

If you really need to make slow, precise lines, try SBP6 and turn on the auto-line-smoother tool about 10%... it corrects it and doesn't slow you down (although that isn't a problem, LOL).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.