Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stsch

stsch Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

I've read about the Vaio Duo 11 Hardware-refresh, that was published on the japanese Homepage.
    Should I cancel my order in Sonys online store? I've ordered the Duo11 with i5-3317U (is there a remarkable difference to the new i5-3337U??), 8GB Ram and 256SSD.
    The online "Sony Store" in Germany told me via mail that they don't know about the update yet and that I shall contact the customer support (which redirected me to online Sony Store...)

Is there any hint on when the new Vaio Duo 11 v2 will be available in Germany or how the pricing structures will be affected by the hardware upgrade? My configuration is priced with ~1500€, as a student I'm able to buy it at 1300€.

Thanks

2. mefistofelico

mefistofelico Pen Pal - Newbie

kiyu, thanks for your opinion!
    Appreciate it a lot....

Vaio Duo slow with Onenote? Ouch!
    Even the model with fastest processor and highest ram? At least guess it won't be as slow as on a 2 yrs old machine....

Emil

3. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

I didnt say that the Duo got slow, its only OneNote ... my Duo is i3 with 4GB Ram so pretty much lowest tier. Moving lots of text makes OneNote slow, but apart from that I havent noticed anything slow.

4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I use One Note ALL the time on my Duo (i7) I don't have any hiccups or slow downs. Works quite well for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

5. mefistofelico

mefistofelico Pen Pal - Newbie

Cmz2000,
    thanks a lot!

Kiyu, apologies for the misunderstanding. Thanks for your help.

Emil

6. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

What problem does it solve exactly? I'm assuming we still don't have a working eraser in the MS PDF reader app with this driver?

7. daniel frisbee

daniel frisbee Pen Pal - Newbie

artrage pro ntrig wobbly diagonal lines.jpg sketchbook pro ntrig wobbly diagonal lines.jpg

Hi everyone. Been keeping a long eye on this thread and ended up buying a duo before Christmas, overall I love it save for two issues, one of which was a surprise, the other less so but bothers me more than expected.

First off is the flicker of the screen as you go down from full brightness. On 60hz it's seemingly worse than 40hz, following advice on the notebookreview forums I've downloaded the latest intel drivers that maybe help but not really. Anyone else having this issue? On a mid grey or gradient image (ie 3ds max viewport) the screen flickers and strobes over the mid-tones, infuriating! I'm stuck with using the duo on really high brightness which kills battery and is too bright for me really. Any sollutions/suggestions most welcome.

More specifically for this thread as tablet enthusiasts, I'm finding the pen difficult. Downloaded the latest n-trig drivers, possibly made things worse. See attached images, the pen cannot draw diagonal or anything other than horizontal and vertical lines. Is this something that other's are experiencing or am I just cursed. I've heard here from graphic designers content with the functionality- really? I've been enjoying the painting programs up until realising this issue is distorting all input.

It's a shame. Will be interesting to see if the surface pro manages any better, but I otherwise adore this sony and the form factor in general suits me more than a surface pro. (also I can't afford to buy one/switch)

I welcome any thoughts and suggestions on these issue, -this is not a double post, shame on you guys posting here and on notebookforums with the same questions!
    thanks
    daniel

8. daniel frisbee

for clarification, those wiggly lines are created while the pen moves in a straight line. Using rulers makes things even worse..

9. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

No flickers for me going from full to lowest brightness on 60Hz.
    Also no problems with diagonal strokes.
    strokes.jpg

10. daniel frisbee

hi, thanks for the reply. Could I ask you to draw the lines slowly to see if that makes it worse? I can do smooth lines if I draw them really quick but I don't draw like that...

weird about the flicker. Others have the problem, still can't tell if it's some bad screens or people's perceptions varying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.