Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Ah. It was not clear, but I thought for a second the reviewer tried it with a wacom pen. So, what pen did Sony say it uses, N-trig v4?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sony reps didn't say anything more about the pen other than that it requires a battery.

3. BadGrim

BadGrim Pen Pal - Newbie

4. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Seriously, I guess the reviews so far can complain about the 5 hour battery life, BUT let's not forget the Samsung Series 7 Slate has the same battery life. There is also a slice battery available for the duo 11. Now I know some will complain about the extra weight or thickness, but let's face it: When you're trying to get a lot of work done, you'll be in the laptop mode using the keyboard. In this mode having the slice added is no big deal. However whenever you're ready to roll you just detach the slice, and slide it into tablet mode. I wonder if the slice battery would charge the built in battery while attached. That could be very useful. At any rate, I'm wondering what kind of user reviews we'll get.

2d

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Interesting that she was using a brush. I am pretty sure my TPT can't support that. So, does that mean this is using V4 of N-trig or does this have some other brand of digitizer?

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I didn't think about it until now, but the fixed-angle setup is much better than a hinged setup for touch or stylus input...it doesn't cause the screen to tilt further backward.

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Weren't the upcoming i5's advertised as being capable of delivering 8hrs of battery life? Or am I mistaking it with the future Haswell CPUs? There's a pretty big difference between 5 and 8hrs.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I guess it all depends on how big of a battery you attach it to ;) The five-hour real-world battery life is pretty much on par with most Ivy Bridge ultrabooks, I think. I don't know of any that are actually hitting around 8 without a battery too large to fit in an ultrathin chassis (i.e., in a bulkier business-class device).

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

E-schreiber will be happy. All three reviews of the Duo 11 so far (pcmag, laptopmag, cnet) docked its score for not having a silo for the stylus. None questioned the presence of the stylus in the first place. Future designs will take note--if they want four- and five-star reviews, include a silo.

That said, I personally am still excited as hell about the Duo 11. Once I understood the benefit of the slider design over a hybrid design (solid surface for stylus input even when the keyboard is exposed), I was sold. I love the specs, love the price, love the aesthetic, and hold Sony in high regard (good luck with a Bravia TV, PS2, and Vaio laptop). A pre-order is highly likely at this point...I'll just sleep on it until early next week.

10. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I know. I had that in mind, but I thought that the 8-hour number that I think I saw somewhere was for a unit with the smallest possible battery.

Edit: Maybe this 5-hour figure is a preliminary one that can be improved with better drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.