Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

1) That sounds cool, I had never thought of nor used such a device, but Google brings up some interesting options (most of which admittedly look to be a few years old).
    2) I am unsure... they do not have the same model number though.
    3) No
    4) No
    5) No
    6) Unsure but I've not found the battery to be all that bad... I rarely bring the charger anywhere. I do bring the sheet battery with me and I'm sure to set the power plan to "Power Saver" if I know I'll be out all day though. The Duo handles a full work day easily with the sheet battery attached.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Jurisprudence

Jurisprudence Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Shame about the optical pointer and ram. Wouldn't be Sony without a couple of quirks though. I'm going to keep looking around for an external battery. The one linked below at 23000mah (Duo is 4950mah afaik so would be approx 5.5 times the life) would be my kind of thing. My work days can be 14hrs to 20hrs long :( so 560g is worth it. I've googled and found it for $75 US wholesale but if I find it available in the real consumer world I'll post back for others.

Power Bank , Mobile Power / Laptop Protable Charger (MP-20000A) - China Power Bank,Mobile Power

Might do a comparison rundown and photo-shoot with my Vaio TT, 1st & 2nd gen P's and 1st gen Macbook Air for size, features, performance and battery (mainly just to embarrass the Air) and do a before and after optimisation for battery life to see if others can benefit from a few tweaks as well.

If anyone wants any particular tests, or has suggestions on what software to use to test it, just ask.

3. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I would wait a few weeks. The v2 (see my other thread) was just announced in Japan and while you may not get all the options, I'd see what they upgrade before you get a current one.

4. Jurisprudence

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated. Hadn't seen a detailed analysis of the differences before, only the CES reports. Your right about waiting, its my golden rule never to buy just before the crossover period in product generations but looking at the changes outlined I'm going to go ahead. The CPU bump is nice but as I'm coming from a Vaio TT with 1.2ghz c2d and a 2x Vaio P's with 1.33ghz & 1.87ghz Atoms going to any i5 will be amazing.

As for storage the bump to a 512gb SSD option is nice again but as a gadget and storage junkie I nearly cried when I saw the new Seagate Wireless Plus 1tb drive. 10hrs battery, very light, creates its own wifi connection as a passthrough, $199. I can effectively upgrade all my devices to 1tb storage instead of paying for storage upgrades to all of them, tearing them apart (impossible with some) and have a mobile synced central data pool on the road with backup in case of failure.

Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB Mobile Storage Drive Review | Gadget Review

Thats just my usage pattern, others will vary.

I think the true Duo V2 will only come when it gets Haswell. If the claim of x2 battery life (we've all heard that crap from Intel before) is true I'll trade up. At €750 with the case I'm getting a good deal for the model, especially considering its Ireland where Sony traditionally like to screw us.

5. kamesh419

kamesh419 Pen Pal - Newbie

Adding to my previous post regarding a possible bug in Firefox on Sony Vaio Duo 11, I have made some screenshots to corroborate my claim. I request you to please let me know if any of you guys are having such a problem with Firefox. Thanks.

http://oi47.tinypic.com/jzt4j.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/34gof7p.jpg

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2qx72c7.jpg

http://oi45.tinypic.com/1zx16x4.jpg

6. zone_rider91

zone_rider91 Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Jurisprudence

Traveled to the other side of the county (its a little nation) but finally have my Duo i5. Impressed so far. In laptop mode the balance is perfect, superior to almost any laptop I have had (and I'm a laptop slut). As a tablet, especially in portrait to me the balance feels slightly off and the weight shows through. I'd never seen a Vaio Duo in the flesh until I bought this one, then coming home on my last train another guy directly across takes out his Duo with the couple behind trying to figure out what the hell they were

One thing I'm not sure has been stated here is the fact that its perfect for long haul buses (In US Greyhound). Its significantly shorter front to back than my 11.1" Vaio TT but still pales in comparison to my 8" Vaio P in that respect. Still I've never seem an 11" as usable on cramped public transport.

Mine is from the USA so I presume I don't have GPS. Can anyone confirm this. May look around to see if its possible to remove the card and replace it with a GPS equipped module. There is no excuse for not including this and/or 3g Sim card in the Duo. The 4yr old TT had it, an 8" miniature 1.5lb Vaio P had it and due to the hinge mechanism essentially exposing in innards there was ample space to mount a sim slot and antenna assembly.

mine came with Windows 8, not Pro. Anyone know the if there is any point in Pro over the standard edition. I won't be using Media center, ever. If there is a point is it possible to go to pro cheaply. I brought my P up from Win 7 to Win 8 pro for €29 but can't seem to find a way to get Win 8 Std to Pro the same way. Odd.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. Airbus

Airbus Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my for $799 CAD + tax @ Best Buy lol (i5 3317, 8GB ram, brand new)

9. mefistofelico

mefistofelico Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies with everyone in case those questions have been asked/answered before
    (in such case, please address me to proper thread)

Am using an Asus EP 121 (i5 U470 1.33 ghz, 4 gb ram, 64gb SSD, 3.2 Windows Experience) mostly for editing/reviewing Office docs (Powerpoint, Excel and Word). Do bit of handwriting/notetaking on both Office Docs and Pdf's (use Pdf Annotator).
    Do take notes/ideas/sketches (with screenshots/pictures included) mostly for creative ideas / business planning. OneNote is the perfect app but is a bit slow on the Asus. Overall, nice machine with some stylus problems (xpecially at the edges) but, again, bit slow.

Questions are really simple:
    a) keep the Asus and upgrade SSD to 256gb + high capacity SD Card (i.e. wait for Next Gen Machines)
    b) go for a new vaio duo 11. i was offered a good deal for the top configuration (i7 + 256gb ssd + 8gb ram) at 1400€!
    c) was told, by an engineer, that vaio duo 11 is a niche Toy but, as far as using it for Business purpose, he'd rather go with a
    Lenovo X230T
    - excellent machine for digitizing
    - hdd easily swappable
    - up to 16gb ram

Any comment?
    Which machine would you buy?

Have forgotten to mention i sometimes (not often) find myself looking for a keyboard!

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Emil

10. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just checked out option c
    That device is for my likings way too thick.
    Also 1.366 x 768 Pixel is a no go after having my Duo with 1920x1080.
    The only good trait for me would be built in 8 hours battery.
    Also about digitizing, if you can, test both and see which feels better to you. It comes down to your own preference of the feeling.

You said OneNote is slow on the Asus, Im afraid that will be the same on the Duo. At least when marking lots of text for moving.
    Still works great for me taking notes as student.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.