Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUPDAWG

SUPDAWG Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anyone having a problems with the context menus when using pen? For example, in the desktop version of skype, when you selecting the message and want to copy it(for example), nothing happens. How can it be solved?
    And another question. Did somebody succeded on launching ArtDock on VAIO Duo?
    P.S. sorry for my English

2. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

works for me , either click and hold or hold small button and click

3. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anybody tested the new N-Trig driver (ZIP file link) from simpleatsh's thread?

I'm curious to see how it fares in ArtRage and SBP, as well as whether it enabled pressure in other programs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. bern_arc

bern_arc Pen Pal - Newbie

hi friends, i am new here.
    Since i want to buy a new convertible laptop, i have my eyes on sony vaio duo 11. But, i dont want to feel regret after buying this machine. So, i need your help guys. I have some questions and i hope you can answer it :)

For those who have bought vaio duo 11, do you regret after having this machine? You know it cost the earth,doesn't it.

Then, i have read many review about this machine, and many of them are complaining about its small keyboard. Is that small keyboard really hard to use?

Is it too heavy to bring it anywhere?

is the stylus doing well?

Sorry for my questions.

Thanks in advance

5. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

I dont regret it, but I miss the money though ...
    Got my duo for 929€ new off ebay + 129€ battery extension + 30€ Screen protector
    Might sound cheap for this device, but still a lot imo.

I dont think the KB is too small, rather the buttons and the hit point are bad. Keep missing letters bcuz I didnt push the button exactly in the middle all the way down. I guess its gotten better after some time now.

I had a very heavy laptop, even heavier than the duo with extension battery, so no, its not too heavy for me at least.
    But continously lifting the duo is a no-no imo.

The stylus is working great for some newbie drawing. Writting in One Note while Im at university is particularly great.
    More experienced artists maybe see some faults though, I dont know about that.

I have to add that the duo wouldnt be working for me without extension battery, I need it for a whole day in university.
    Even then I sometimes need to recharge it.
    One problem I noticed is, when you use it in tablet mode, the fan goes very loud even though its barely working while its in keyboard mode. Its even affecting battery time ( like 4 hours in KB mode and 3:15 hours in tablet mode.
    All while not running anything !
    The good thing is that I can use vaio control to set the fan to silent when Im using tablet mode. Usually having like max. 30% CPU load it produces up to 60°C but I didnt notice any hot spots.

Another thing which is a must have for me is a screen protector, no more glare or finger prints, but a somewhat milky screen ... I dont have the one from Sony though. They say the Sony one is glossy which I dont like.

This mightve sound kinda negative from me, but I still keep my Duo since its helping me in university a lot and serves me well as main machine. Still got a PC at home for solely gaming though.

6. bern_arc

bern_arc Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, thanks for your reply,
    i may conclude that your impression on this machine is just so-so

My some last questions mate, how often do you use touchscreen on duo 11?
    is optical trackpad really useful for working with this laptop?
    Are there any problems you encounter by using that machine?

Thanks again, mate,
    Sorry i am asking you tons of question...:)

7. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

I use the touchscreen quite often, its just way easier to scroll through pdfs or Chrome. Also I dont use Metro at all, wish I could uninstall it ...
    Once it gets tinier, like when selecting a bunch of files, I take out the pen. Still I can actually see how a touchscreen can coexist with Windows.

The trackpad is ok I think, you have to wipe over it several times to get across the whole screen, but Ive gotten used to it. Unlike others reported how the trackpad would accidentially take a wipe as a left click, I have to say that happened only once to me. On the contrary, the trackpad usually takes my clicks for small swipes upward ...

Apart from the fan doing more work in tablet mode and missing letters occasionally there only is this thing with the extension battery. It doesnt sit tight, it moves a little back and fourth but thats it. Not sure if mines faulty or that is considered normal.
    I still like it though, after all thats why Im keeping it.
    But dont take my word for it, try it out yourself or ask other people about it. I think I heard there was a review section here ? Not sure about that.

8. cbrotherson

cbrotherson Pen Pal - Newbie

Welcome!

I’m a newb here too, after getting a Duo barely a month ago. My opinion:

- No regrets on buying the machine; one of the best purchases I’ve made in a while. Expensive, yes, but worth it for my needs. Context: I upgraded from a £300 Samsung NC10. So they’re about the same weight, although the Duo’s screen is miles better, with a more cramped keyboard. And obviously it’s much more powerful (I got the i5 config with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM). Having the ability to switch to tablet formation and back again is perfect (I’m a writer, so a keyboard is essential).

- Keyboard is indeed small, but I’m nearly used to it now. I miss the odd keystroke here and there due to not pressing hard enough (there’s limited travel, but better travel than most other tablet hybrid keyboards from what I understand), but now I’m nearly at full speed. And as I said, I’m a writer by profession, so the keyboard is a HUGELY important factor for me. That said, I’d try it out first, as the small keyboard was a big turn-off for me based on reviews and it was only when I had the chance to try the machine at the Sony Centre did I realise that it’s not bad at all. Typical Vaio quality, just smaller. As someone who adjusted to the (generally superior) small Samsung keyboard, the Duo’s keyboard takes a bit of time, but it’s not as much a deal breaker as some reviews would have you believe.

- Bizarrely, I thought the Duo was too heavy at first when I tried it in the shop. In day to day use, it’s just about right. However, you have to realise that it’s an ultrabook with tablet functionality, not the other way around. Reviews have been comparing it to other tablets, which naturally is going to be unfavourable. The Duo features full sized ports and a built in keyboard, along with being bigger screen-wise (that bezel adds another couple inches to the size) and the build quality is excellent, so it’s always going to be heavier than a Samsung tablet or a Surface. It’s an ultrabook first, tablet second, so base your purchase off what you’ll use it more first. For me, a keyboard will be required 70% of the time I use it, so it’s perfect – it’s lighter than most laptops and around average weight for an ultrabook. If you’re looking for a tablet which you can whip out for any occasion and hoist with one hand for long periods, the Duo fails on that front. It’s a two handed machine, realistically. But still light enough for daily travel and commutes.

- The stylus works well enough for me, but I’m not an artist. Some reports have it not as good as a Samsung stylus, which looks to be fair. But for my purposes (mouse replacement, hand writing), it’s perfect.

Overall, lovely machine. Certainly try it out before you spend the large amount of cash for it, but for me it's brilliant.

9. MattZ

MattZ Pen Pal - Newbie

PauLegend,

Would you be able (and would you mind) posting a description of the changes/tweaks you made in your troubleshooting to get the pen operation up to snuff?

Thanks in advance.

10. artsjedi

artsjedi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, guys. I made a little research,, and till now, there is no News from n-trig...
    Anyone have some News from them ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.