Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark.kemp

mark.kemp Pen Pal - Newbie

Welcome to the family :D

2. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Loris,

From what I've noticed, it really depends on the brush being used. Some brushes, like the watercolor brush in ArtRage, are quite slow to render and have noticeable lag and some, like the pencil, are quite snappy and I've seen little or no lag at all. Which app were you running when you tested the pen?

Sorry to hear about your experience at the Sony store. The Sony execs need to stroll into an Apple store some day so they can learn how important it is to hire staff who are genuinely excited about showing off their products.

3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

@ Pagugu

I'm intrigued as to how you find it compared to the T730 (as that's what I have). I also get pretty bad Wacom edge drift and it is somewhat heavy.

What's it like to use in comparison for:

Weight.
    Screen size.
    Battery life (let's say the T730 has a modular bay battery in).
    Lack of a trackpad.

The only problem I can see with a lack of trackpad, is scrolling.

4. pagugu

pagugu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Tams,

My T730 was stolen last year so I can't do a direct comparison, but from memory/feel:

* Weight: The Duo feels more compact and lighter. I can actually hold the Duo (in slider configuration) in one arm and type with the other while walking around, which I couldn't do comfortably with the T730.
    * Screen size: I've adjusted to the Duo's now, but the T730 definitely felt bigger. Part of this is probably due to the 16:9 ratio, I still find myself wishing for a little more vertical space in landscape orientation.
    * Battery Life: I never really gave the T730 battery much of a workout so I don't have a good feel for comparison here, sorry.
    * Trackpad: MacBook >> T730 >> Duo, IMHO. If you can track a Duo down to play with I highly recommend it since pointer manipulation such a personal experience.

For me, the Duo's optical trackpad has taken a lot of getting used to. It's decent for pointer manipulation but I find it jumps a lot when I try to 'click' with it. That leaves the three dedicated pointer buttons below the keyboard for click duties, but they are awkwardly positioned, stiff and lacking tactile distinction from each other so it's been hard to recognize the right/middle/left button by touch alone. (I'm going to have to take one of my daugher's glitter bump stickers to mark the left click button...) Also, clicking the buttons with the same hand that's manipulating the pointer often results in a pointer jumping off the widget I'm trying to click due to my whole hand moving to find the correct button to press. So I've had to use one hand to move the pointer and the other to click. It's cumbersome, and why I end up resorting to a Bluetooth mouse or the stylus for mouse work sometimes. :(

Regarding trackpad scrolling, the optical trackpad does support a middle-click plus scroll which works pretty well. And the touchscreen-scrolling in Metro-style apps is a joy.

I hope the trackpad stuff is just user error and that I just need to learn new habits. Anyone have any suggestions for mastering this devilish beast??

5. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sony is notoriously bad at leaving their prices at their original price for too long. More likely is a faster cpu at the same price point...from my experience.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

6. czm2000

Slice is SUPER light and feels way lighter than it looks. But it does make the over all unit feel a touch heavier once attached.

7. czm2000

-Slice is pretty slim.
    -No additional ports.
    -Tablet+Slice does fit into the Duo Sleeve.

8. romualdp

romualdp Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, is there anybody that can post pictures or video of size comparison between 11 macbook air and Sony VAIO duo 11?
    I have decided in favor of Sony but still have hard time imagining the size of the unit.
    Thanks,
    R

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. cbrotherson

cbrotherson Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, thanks very much for the info!

10. TheGuac

TheGuac Scribbler - Standard Member

I FINALLY found a slice battery at Frys! Too bad I don't live near that Frys and I have to have my mom ship it to me. I'm not sure why they are so hard to find. I have 2 days to decide if I want to keep this computer. So far I've tried the Samsung 500T and 700T and the Duo. The 700T, the Sony's most immediate competitor, is nice but the build quality is nowhere near the level of the Duo and the screen seems more washed out. Plus, for $1450 I got the i7 vs $1320 after tax for the Samsung i5. The Samsung's keyboard is really nice though. The 500T is the most practical for every day use as its battery life is excellent. However, the screen's resolution is not great and it bogs down quickly, likely due to the 2 gb ram. It also likes to freeze at random times and some of the drivers aren't fine-tuned at all. In contrast, I have not had a SINGLE problem with the Sony, other than the touch screen not responding despite a reformat (it was because I decided to disable it to try out drawing without worrying about palm rejection...well, the digitizer also stopped working; I'm not sure how it started working again).

My only current gripes about the Sony are the battery life (hopefully will be rectified by the slice) and the N-trig inking. It doesn't seem as natural as a Wacom for inking. It will be an upgrade to my Vaio Z610 from Dec 2008. That computer is flawless and I still love it. Because the Duo is made from the same factory in Japan, I have no doubts it will survive for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.