Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

1. skallal

skallal Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey thanks sonus911! I tried it and now I'm at least able to get 5 rows on the touchscreen. I also did the other registry hack where you put in the value for maximum row count. (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...etro-apps-change-number-rows-windows-8-a.html) I am more than happy with five rows.

One added benefit is now my touch keyboard is sizing itself properly. It has been getting narrow only covering about half of the width of the screen. If I recall correctly, the problem didn't start until I started using an external monitor. Between the two registry tweaks, I'm able to get full width on the keyboard now. Of course with the Duo 11, the touch keyboard really isn't a big deal.

Kudos to this thread for giving us information pertinent to the Duo 11!

2. skallal

skallal Pen Pal - Newbie

spridell, try this registry hack: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-screen/5e497c6b-230c-4440-9d5e-5d24aa1e9730

Here is the second registry hack you want to try:

.reg begin -->

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling]
    "MonitorSize"="15.4"

<-- end

I found that it takes both registry hacks together. Let me know if it works for you...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  3. benjaminleroux

benjaminleroux Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to get it to 6 rows by using both registry hack ... but I found the text a bit too small to read!!! :( if it's not one thing it's the other!

4. benjaminleroux

benjaminleroux Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

Has anyone enabled the battery preserve plan in the Vaio control center? You can either limit the battery charge to 80% or 50% which will extend your battery life...

Wonder if we should enable this as the internal battery is not easily accessible.

On that note, could the battery be swapped out if ever it died?

Thanks

5. spridell

spridell Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the help but it DID NOT work. I have tried everything and I am stuck with 3 rows.

The first Hack my computer didnt have "scaling" so i had to manually add it. Did nothing.

The second hack I tried changing the values and still nothing.

I only get the option to show more tile when I am in portrait mode. Once in landscape mode I have no option that says show more tiles

Also when I go into registry to change the values anything that I type in DOES NOT stick. I exit registry restart and it always reverts back to height cells 3

I dotn know what I am missing.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you connected to an external monitor? If so, keep it unplugged. Also after you edit the registry, try simply logging out instead of a full reboot.

7. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Could you guys please vote this question up!? I put in a request to MS support to get our n-Trig stylus eraser working when marking up PDFs. Its pretty unacceptable that we can't effectively markup PDFs from our tablets... what's the point in buying one of these machines for school or work, if you can't get basic functionality that without buying an expensive desktop app when its readily available in Android.

MS PDF Reader App bug - it doesn't support nTrig stylus eraser - Microsoft Community

8. spridell

spridell Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you to all. After playing around with it some more what worked for me was the Reg setting for Scalling monitor size 15.4

I now have 5 rows and its much better.

Thanks

9. Sgt. Keel

Sgt. Keel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody, I am new here and I am looking into buying a Vaio Duo as a possible backup/replacement for an existing Dell Latitude XT3.

After a lot of browsing and searching through this thread and the one about digitizer-enabled win8 tablets, a few of my questions are not yet answered completely, mainly:
    1. Is there a tool/widget or other easy way to quickly switch between touch and digitizer-only input recognition? The N-trig in my Dell XT3 provides a slide-in widget on one side of the screen that allows quick switching between 4 modes: simultaneous touch and pen input, pen only, touch only, and automatic switching (touching the screen w\ pen switches to pen only, double-tapping with the finger switches back to touch). The widget is Dell-branded, so not sure if this is a Dell feature or an N-trig driver one. Anything comparable on the Vaio Duo?
    2. Is anybody specifically using Grahl Software's PDF Annotator with the Vaio Duo successfully? It works great with the N-trig on the Dell XT3/Win7(64)
    3. Any experience with the Sony complete coverage support plans?

Background, in case you have some further thoughts for me: I teach hydromech engineering classes at university and use the digitizer to directly write/draw into my PDF presentations during my lectures (math, equations, some text, some line drawings/engineering sketches).
    The Dell XT3 has some quirks (touch input driver not adapting to 4:3 clone display resolutions, etc.). Worst however is, that the single pivot joint between notebook and display is mechanical crap. We've had the XT3 for 8 months and this semester, it had to be repaired by Dell's on-site service 3 times. Once, the touch panel still worked but the screen went all white permanently (hardware defect of the wiring in the joint), once the display kept working but the touch panel broke (same thing, wiring through the joint) and once the whole joint just mechanically broke when I closed the lid, effectively separating lid from notebook.

Long story short, I need a backup/replacement. Bulkiness, weight, battery life are relatively unimportant, lag-free reliable pen input for inking into PDFs is absolutely essential (I would be looking at the i5/8GB version of the Vaio), and since I am a lefty and have to be standing up in the auditorium and permanently move away from the computer and back, there's no way for me to write with the tip of the pen touching the surface before my palm does, so most palm recognition systems would probably fail and I therefore need the ability to switch between the two modes. What's great about the Vaio Duo is the VGA output without need for an adaptor (auditorium systems are all still on analog VGA) as well as the 1900px resolution (fairly large auditoriums w\ ~200 people, so the projector image is huge). Any alternatives out there?

10. artsjedi

artsjedi Pen Pal - Newbie

This tool calls PEN. when your pen is near from screen, it disables the touch input.. and turn it on again when the pen gets away from it

11. artsjedi

Hello, anyone notices that the screen starts to auto correct it color and gamma?
    It's quite annoying. when i use certains "Gray" applications like blend. the screen becomes correcting the color and contrast..

How can i disable it??

12. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, it's a setting. Don't have my device with me and can't remember where I saw it. But I think it's in the Vaio Settings tool. Click the Assist button that's next to the volume controls to open the menu that should get you there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

13. Airbus

Airbus Pen Pal - Newbie

Where can I download this tool?

btw, Is N-ACT available for the DUO 11?

I missed the N-ACT on my Fujitsu Q550

Thank you very much

14. Airbus

Airbus Pen Pal - Newbie

It won't register the stylus until I tap the screen with my finger, is it normal?

Thank you very much

15. kiyu727

kiyu727 Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope by now you realized, he meant the actual stylus/pen.

No, once the stylus is in range/near the screen, the device should ignore your finger taps. So it definitely sounds unusual from your discription.

16. Airbus

Airbus Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks,
    btw, what is "Sony Wireless State Device"
    Couldn't find what it is on google...

Thank you very much

17. Airbus

Airbus Pen Pal - Newbie

nvm, just found out it is the GPS

18. artsjedi

Hello, my screen is getting a random touch in the upper left conner.
    It is quite annoying !!! anyone have this trouble ? I would like to know how to solve it.

Thanks.!

19. AveSharia

AveSharia Pen Pal - Newbie

From the Problems with Sony Vaio Duo 11 thread, it's a hardware issue. Hope you're in your return window.

20. artsjedi

I dont think so... in this case i must solve it by myself.... Anyone get this ???