Sony VAIO Duo 11

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by excalibur1814, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It's a review in a complete vacuum, as I've never used a digitizer stylus before, but it looked just like handwriting to me. Locked out my palm just fine. Didn't notice any jagged artifacts or anything, and I have small, incomprehensible handwriting.

I haven't yet figured out how to do handwriting detection to see how accurate that is. Hasn't been my personal priority. Plus, I'm at work so I'm not supposed to spend the entire day messing with this ;)

3. Doggie

Doggie Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks Mitlov. I will have mine tomorrow. For some reason, my fedex holding place is not open on Mondays!!! I am hopeful. I have too much to do tomorrow too but will at least turn it on and give the pen a whirl.

4. Doggie

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't want to sound harsh, but if that's the level of drawing that you are aiming for, then none of my criticism really matters. Disregard me from now on.

I really need to put disclaimers on my posts that my ranting only apply when you are talking about high level of sketching and drawing, and if you want to draw Garfield or Zippy the Magic Jetplane, just about anything out there including capacitive nub styli should do.

6. Doggie

I guess it does depend on what you want it to do. I am wanting simple note-taking---and am hoping it works for that. I am not an artist so don't know what all is involved with that.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

they draw in a very slow and strange manner, while the device is in "laptop" mode, which looks awkward and doesn't really simulate a real drawing situation. I imagine I would use the thing in slate mod like a sketchbook if I was going to be drawing, and I would paint or draw in quick, light strokes, and occasional slow deliberate lines when inking. But sadly, this video didn't really cover any "real world" drawing scenario. Also, it didn't seem to be showing any signs of pressure sensitivity... perhaps jsut the brush they were using.

Although, it did seem to be behaving better and less erratic than how some have described the earlier N-trig entries in the Q552 and such...

8. pauLegend

pauLegend Pen Pal - Newbie

I am grateful to can confirm, after hours of troubleshooting, that this is just a driver and software issue just like my Fujitsu q550 (Ntrig) and HP TM2 (Wacom) before, there isn't even an Ntrig menu in the control panel...I will post a response video soon of my Vaio Duo 11 with sketchbook pro that came along with the sketchbook designer program to show that there is no vectoring like you see on shogmasters video, especially when drawing in fast elipses like these. As a design pro, I can say it now meets all my needs, ideation, 3d rendering etc.

Please analyze the sketch I just made, notice no vectoring and proper gradation in the pressure.

VAIODUO11StylusTestNtrig.jpg

9. Kenrick

Kenrick Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks pauLegend, this is looking promising now!

10. pauLegend

pauLegend Pen Pal - Newbie

I will try to make to video tomorrow. I am pretty sure that this is just a driver issue and not hardware since I tried many different programs like sketchbook express from the windows store, artrage, photoshop cs6 even the standalone sketchbook pro and they all didn't work properly like my old TM2 and Q550. Both were fixed by installing wacoms and stock drivers. I suspect this to be the same.

If you want to try this yourself before I post the video do this:
    1.Download a student or trial of the full Sketchbook Design (Vector Based Sketching) then,
    2.Install every option and Open
    3.Within Sketchbook Design, the program bar contains "applications", select sketchbook pro.

I have the student version (full) so not sure if this is the same with the trial but it should.

My line of design work is very demanding and requires a lot from a machine, so line quality is really an issue like Shogmaster.

I am coming from a TM2 which was at the time the only device on the market to feature dual touch and Wacom digitizer and Discrete Graphics so this is to show that I really try to do my homework in selecting possible tools for design.

The Duo will serve me well IMO. The Vaio is still the only one in the best form factor that meets these needs as an all in on design that surpasses or meets all my needs(high res. for more drawing space, active/pressure digitizer,enterprise ports like Ethernet and VGA,large ssd, NFC with my phone, best screen color accuracy to showcase my concepts and graphics from digital to print, All Adobe and Autodesk 3d rendering software runs great all in the same package that never needs dongles etc.

A true pro tool in my opinion that is still the most usable professionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.