Sony VAIO Duo 11 good for Art Programs ?

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by khos, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Sony VAIO Duo 11 but am concerned that the NTRIG Stylus won't behave as well as e.g. Wacom Stylus on Samsung Ativ Smart PC Tablet PRO or ASUS 121...

Does anyone have experience with this, does Artrage or photoshop work well, can I get pressure sensitively, is it accurate, does it lag?

Any info would be appreciated before I take the expensive plunge!

Kim

2. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

You can look at YouTube and find some artists drawing on the Duo 11.

The N-Trig Digitizer is not good for Art Programs in general, no. It is good for only a few Art Programs.

N-Trig is a company, and that company has no good driver for the WinTab API (apparently developed years ago by Wacom). N-Trig does have a driver for Microsoft's Pen API; so the Sony Duo 11 will work with Art Rage.

If you want a Duo 11 you should
    1) identify Pen API Art Programs
    2) decide if you can live with pressure in just those programs
    3) go out to YouTube and look for Duo 11 reviews and especially artists using it

If you want pressure in Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop, Open Canvas, Paint Tool SAI and some other programs then you would be better off with something other than an N-Trig digitizer at this point in time.

It is rumored that N-Trig will come out with a decent WinTab driver this year or next; not sure I believe that rumor.

Also, there will be a Sony Duo 13 revealed at Computex next month. You may want to look up the Sony Duo 13 via Google.

http://liliputing.com/2013/05/sony-vaio-duo-13-inch-slider-on-the-way.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Programs I've heard work well on the Duo11, with pressure sensitivity-
    Artrage, Sketchbook Pro, and Mangastudio 5. All are great programs, in which people produce professional quality work, so that's not the issue. But if you want to use Paint tool Sai, PS, or Corel Painter, then you're out of luck. It's a matter of program preference.

4. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info, I use Artrage mostly so looks like it'll be a good choice.

5. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the detailed info, I only use artrage which is lucky..lets hope the driver comes out, looks more likely for me to get one. I like the design of the Sony Duo 11, the sturdy flip screen seems like it'll be good if you press on the screen with a pen, no wobbley hinges etc.

6. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

I did it, got the duo11 and so far it is a great machine. I also have a asus121 and do not notice much difference in artrage at all between wacom and ntrig! see my 1st sketch below I made on my sony duo 11, this machine is going to be so cool to use:

Image name: Rockface.
    Untitled.jpg

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

good to hear it performs on par with wacom for you.

So you would say there is no difference in response/smoothness of stroke between Ntrig and Wacom on your ep121? Or just very little difference?

I would love to know if once the Ntrig gets a wintab driver out - IF, key word - if it would be an equal option to artists now that it's matured it's hardware.

8. BWhite

BWhite Scribbler - Standard Member

Review of the Sony Vaio Duo 11 Ultrabook - YouTube

I believe you do animation? So maybe this youtube video does not qualify for you. It is 8 1/2 mins of two artists each using his own Duo 11.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

In Artrage I can say that I cannot see any noticeable differences, the sony probably performs better for me, also the ntrig stylus has buttons included which I have started using. I do not use any other app such as photoshop so for me this is just a perfect software/machine. The very big factor too was that on the Asus 121 the battery life is not great, preventing me from going outside for long periods and sketching/caricatures of real life people/things, now with the sony I can do!! nice! plus the sony can play better games/graphics, it just seems to be a more capable machine for all your other games/apps too, not just drawing. I love the full size hdmi port, the mini hdmi on the asus121 did not work so nice for me if I wanted to play a film on my telly.. The sony stylus seems to have a nice feel to it, a better grip maybe due to the andonised finish, not like the white wacom stylus provided with my asus 121 which is smooth plastic, that always started slipping from my finger after longer drawing sessions..

which drawing software do you use? Photoshop?

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The buttons on the pen-- they're right click and eraser, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.