Sony Tablet S? Or something else?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mitlov, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Isn't the "$150-$400" price range a matter of used pricing versus new? That's always apples and oranges. The 2730p, new, cost $1600. (Source: LAPTOP Magazine - Product reviews, tech news, buying guides, and more ).

Anyway, I think it's a matter of different strokes for different folks. Sure, I could get a full-on laptop with Windows 7 and a Sandy Bridge i3 for $500. But I already have a nice laptop (Vaio F2390X). I don't want a second laptop. What I want is a small, light device I can carry around with one hand for casual web browsing and reading, where I can read or browse the web while my toddler naps on my chest, etc. A Tablet S, like its direct competitor the iPad, weighs one-third what a 2370p does and about one-sixth what my laptop does.

It's kind of like with laptops, comparing a $1200 Clevo/Sager gaming rig to a $1200 Asus Zenbook or MacBook Air. Sure, the former has a lot more power then the latter, but that doesn't mean it's better for everyone.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You know, this part of your post has been sitting in the back of my head, and I'm starting to give it more and more thought. Yes, the Tablet S has webcams and the Fire doesn't, but I use my laptop for video chats and a proper camera for photography. yes, the Tablet S has more vivid colors on its screen, but if I'm spending most of my time reading instead of watching movies, that doesn't matter. Yes, the Tablet S has better onboard sound, but I'd probably use headphones either way. While the Tablet S would be better for tablet gaming, I could buy myself an all-out Playstation 3 with the price difference.

The main advantage of the Tablet S that I'd enjoy is the significantly larger screen for reading...but after seeing the Kindle Fire in person at a local store, it's not as small as I thought. It's still got a significantly larger screen than my keyboard Kindle.

If Santa doesn't bring a Tablet S under the tree tomorrow, I'm thinking that it would be a more effective use of my money to get the Fire, since most of what I'll be doing is just books and Pandora anyway.

Thanks for the posts. I don't agree at all that a tablet-laptop ProBook makes an ounce of sense for me, but I think you raise some good points about the Kindle Fire.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One more thing to consider: I've seen a lot is people commenting they love the 7" size for its far better portability and ease of use when on the go compared to the 10.1" units; I guess it is the difference between a small attache (or coat pocket) vs a small-medium backpack sized bag to carry it in, maybe there is something to that

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

You know, that's a really good point too. There are three pockets in my coat where a 7 inch tablet would fit (internal breast pocket, both hand pockets). There's not a single one where a 10" tablet would. Sure, I could stick a 10" tablet in my messenger back with my 16" laptop...but if I'm not bringing that bag with me, it'd be a lot easier to bring a Fire with me. While I'm primarily going to be using it around the house, for reading books while on a trip, a 7" tablet would indeed be more convenient.

It's 2/3s the weight of the Sony too.

Thanks again for the feedback...you've given me some good food for thought. Now I find myself leaning more towards the Fire than the Tablet S.

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Went ahead and ordered myself a Kindle Fire. Thanks everyone for the input!

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

First impressions:

The build quality is AMAZING. It's heavier than you expect when you first pick it up, but incredibly solid. I didn't expect this sense of tactile quality from a $199 device.

The screen is GORGEOUS. I'd heard mixed reviews, and if this is bad, I can't imagine what good is. The pictures are sharp and the colors are vibrant. It's a fingerprint magnet, but I suppose that's the case with any touchscreen device.

Reading is a real pleasure. Page-turns are fast and seamless, and the screen is nice and sharp. Great resolution for reading.

Setup was refreshingly simple. It was already configured with my Amazon account, and I was ready to use it within about two or three minutes of powering it on.

Packaging was simple and eco-friendly--shockingly so. No owner's manual (except for a one-page card), no plastic (except for the single plastic protected placed around the device), no styrofoam.

Why do we just get an AC charger unit instead of a USB-and-charger combo unit, like you do with a normal Kindle? In addition, the charger unit is bulky and not very portable (for example, you can't fold up the prongs of the wall plug to make the charger smaller and prevent damage while stuffed into a bag). This is the one thing where I can tell cost-cutting to make the $199 price point was involved.

Onboard audio is, as expected, laughably bad. Shame the audio jack is on the bottom--this prevents you from setting it on the shelf of an exercise machine if you're using headphones and if it's in portrait mode instead of landscape mode. However, you can avoid this issue by just setting it down in landscape mode. Not the end of the world.

It would have been nice to have had dedicated buttons for audio controls and screen-rotate-lock instead of on-screen controls, but it's not the end of the world.

7. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

Weird that you should say that. This tablet does basicaldly the same thing the laptop can do and does it faster.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.