Sony Tablet S? Or something else?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mitlov, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I've got my Vaio for serious work, but I'm starting to get interested in a tablet for e-reader and web-surfing use.

One thing I want to do is to run the Kindle app and the Pandora app simultaneously, so I can listen to music while I read.

1. What is your budget?

$500-$600.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

No.

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?

Something along the lines of an iPad or Tablet S...that's called a "slate," right?

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

Compact ~ 10"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Like Sony and Apple, but open to others. But I've basically written off Apple, though, since iOS can't simultaneously run the Kindle app and the Pandora app, as far as I can tell.

Dislike HP, not that the TouchPad is really a player in the market anymore :p

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

4-5 would be fine.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

e-reader, streaming music, web surfing, maybe some light gaming.

9. Do you have an OS preference?

No.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

As noted above, Pandora app, Kindle app, and web browser would pretty much do it.

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

My Vaio is my main gaming machine, but I might play some light games on it. Don't have any in mind.

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer?

Don't know.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?

No.

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?

Probably glossy, so that it's easier to clean the touchscreen.

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive)

Kind of a given in the market I'm looking, I think?

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig)

Nope.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?

32 GB would be nice.

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?

Nope.

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?

Nope.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

I like a general tactile look and feel of "quality," and a machine that runs smoothly, even if it means less performance from a bang-for-the-buck perspective.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Nope.

2. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

I am very pleased with my Sony S. I use it for reading more then my Sony ereader. Do not have a clue whether you can have Pandora running while doing other things.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, from what I've read, the Tablet S sounds like one of the nicest full-sized, full-featured laptops. Now I find myself debating whether I should still spring for it over a Kindle Fire given that I'm primarily just going to be using the Kindle reader app and the Pandora app. I know they're in two different price classes and size classes, but this isn't like laptops where I really have a sense of what size I want to be at.

Does anyone have any insights of what tipped them one way or another between inexpensive 7" tablets and full-featured 10" models?

4. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

The Sony S is nice, but it's not a laptop. It's an Android based tablet with a netbook processor. Whole different animal.

As for why bigger or smaller, you partly answered your own question. Price. The rest you will have to decide based on your proposed usage scenario as well as budget and aesthetics.

I already have a full featured 12" Windows based convertible for work. So I have all the bells and whistles covered.

What I wanted was an inexpensive way to get acquainted with Android OS and see what it can and can't do. (Yes, you can run Pandora or the music player of your choice and another application at the same time. Android does take a couple days to get used to though.)

I chose a 1st generation Nook Color. They are inexpensive, readily available, regarded as reliable hardware, and converting them to full Android is quite simple. I Like the compact 7" form factor more than I thought I would. Even with a protective case I can stuff it in a lunch pail or a coat pocket and it's unobtrusive even on a crowded bus. Most applications are zoomable so the small screen isn't a huge issue. It does bog down and lag a bit it you try to do too much at once. Still not too shabby for the price.

5. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the advantages of the Sony S, especially for reading (I am reading a Kindle book on it now), is the design. Most of the weight goes to one side so it is far less tiresome to hold for extended periods.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Holy crap! those Sony S are expensive for what is essentially a throw-away consumer device that does basically nothing (and I thought the $150+ tax was a bit much for my now former Touchpad!)... Just buy something cheap and reliable, maybe just get the kindle fire or nook color [then root it] as anything more will be a serious waste of money (would you honestly pay $300-500+ for a device to watch movies, listen to music and read off of -then get rid of it in 1-2 years because it is outdated or the battery is dead- when you have computers already, and cheaper options that do the exact same thing?)

well, I'm biased, I believe that if you are going to be plunking down any kind of money that you should be able to at least see some real returns over cheaper alternatives! whatever...

7. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

You must think the iPad2 is a real ripoff, then. :)

8. Agent 9

apple products are a ripoff and a joke... these android entertainment tablets are just about as bad, though I guess some may find some kind of use for them somehow :)

9. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The Tablet S costs $450. Compared to a $200 Kindle Fire, it offers twice the screen real estate (this is a huge part of the price difference--remember the 10" Kindle DX was twice the price of a normal 7" Kindle), twice the storage space, twice the memory, better screen quality, better audio quality, and two webcams instead of zero.

Is the Tablet S worth the extra for me? I'm not sure yet, though I'm starting to lean toward "yes." Does it offer a lot more than a $200 Kindle Fire? Yes.

Yeah, I really like the design of the Tablet S, both from an aesthetic and a practical perspective. Very unique.

10. Agent 9

Well, that is still a LOT of money for not much at all; You said you had limited needs of use, well IMO it is then better to get what you need, not some over priced and overhyped thing that isn't really any better at those things even if it has 'two times whatever' because it is still in the same limited class of 'entertainment tablet'

I got my 2730p for $430 back a year ago just about this time (now you can get them for $150-400 [bare to quite well spec'd out]; it is an absolute power house anything from heavy 2D work to even modest 3D work are tackled easily, it runs real Windows on real hardware so there aren't jokes of work-arounds or incompatibilities, and it absolutely tears apart any videos or multimedia on the internal or external monitor -or both) and that is a LOT more bang for your buck; granted I have upgraded mine over time, and there is no touch/ multi-touch on the 2730p, but there are many models with touch/ multi-touch in that range or a little bit more like the Fujitsu T4410 or T5010, Lenovo X61 tablet & X200 tablet, HP 2740p, and others (all of which were at the pinnacle of excellently designed and constructed business grade Tablet PC's and cost $2,000+ only a few years ago, they still are very relevant).
    I'm just trying to show you that you don't have to drop that much dough on such a limited device with a very limited lifespan and use pattern, it would be better to buy the cheaper yet still capable of the limited devices, or get a real Tablet PC that should last far longer and be far less prone to issues while a million times more powerful and capable... but to each their own I suppose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.