Sony aims for Surface Pro with it's own active pen equipped 11.6" Windows 8 slate

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Shogmaster, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You missed a fair bit, but with all the dust in the air, that's understandable. :)

The Sony Flip series offers Haswell, Photoshop pressure support, and the latest MS5 is reported to work with Duo Sense 2 on at least one existing machine. I don't know about Painter, (haven't looked it up yet; I don't use it), but Artrage is supported.

That's pretty good coverage at this early stage.

2. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Painter uses wintab. We are so close!

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe we should start calling the 'flip' versions the Sony VAIO Fit, which seems to be their actual name. Or actually Sony VAIO Fit Multi-Flip, which just might be the worst product name since the Ativ series..

4. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Seriously, I don't get it. Why is everybody frowning about N-Trig. They have improved far more than Wacom probably ever will. I guess there are some dinosaurs around here... I am just waiting for Wacom to wake up or better go down! Accuracy is just horrible!

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Bigger screens. Check. Excellent improvement for artists that want larger work areas.

Powerful guts and dedicated graphics. Check. Although, with the caveat that these are still ULV processors and the GT 730M is a lower end mobile GPU. Which means performance performance still might not be that much better than the T902.

Better edge accuracy? I don't believe this, quite frankly. Can you link to a comparison showing the DuoSense2 has better edge tracking than Wacom UD?

Also you haven't mentioned the reported palm rejection problems and the lack of button programability. These are very important features to artists too.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Sony for the pen leg, and we'll blame it on the Vaio Paper app for now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I have yet to review the Duo 13 which I have in my hot little hands right now, but I can at least confirm that edge accuracy is better than Wacom. Right to the corners.
    I can take a video later to prove it need be. I DO have some serious gripes, but SOny is apparently working to fix them. In general though even just surfing the pen around the desktop, Ntrig feels laggier. Like it's folowing the pen a second behind everything you do, Wacom feels snappier. But perhaps that ULV Haswell versus FULLvoltage Ivy Bridge.

ANyway, I'll break down the PRos cons and issues later. But I can at least chime in to say Ntirg has lots of promise if they are finaly getting software support.

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well that does change things, doesn't it? :) If that's true, then I'll admit I was wrong to slam NTrig (at least with regards to precision).

However, I'm using an EP121 right now and I've never had any problems with edge or corner accuracy. And that's all through using 3 different machines (warranty replacements) and ~7 different versions of drivers. Same thing with every other Tablet PC (except for the Latitude XT).

When you get around to the review please elaborate more on how the accuracy is better. I would also really like to know which machines/driver combos are suffering from edge jitter.

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

9. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

all i can say is very very well done sony.....if the photoshop pressure is sorted i will be buying the 15inch model...a perfect size and it has everthing the new wacom companions havent got ..ie haswell cpu bigger screen ..better battery life..high colour gamut...backlit keyboard...wacom as far as im cocerned have overpriced the 2 models they are releasing ...as for an android device for the price they are after is in my opinion crazy...im glad to see sont are giving us quality products with the latest tech ....yes it will be pricey but atleast it will have what i require so fingers crossed they can worj with adobe and get the pressure working in photoshop and i think 80% of pros could go to sony as there is no other company i know woth a 15ich screen with the resolution ...if wacom had of decided to use haswell it would be a different story ,,,but ivy bridge ...no more words to really say ..

10. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.