Sony aims for Surface Pro with it's own active pen equipped 11.6" Windows 8 slate

Discussion in 'Sony' started by Shogmaster, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Of much more interest to you is the Sony multi-flip

duosense 2
    up to 15" screen
    at least 8 gigs RAM
    big SSD options
    AND high end dedicated GPU

Thats looking promising, even if it is Ntrig

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can't do it. I can't force myself to give up Wacom.

You should make a thread about the flip in the News Headlines section.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  4. dcbCreative

dcbCreative Here for cookies.

I hate that we are place in this position... ...Feeling like we are giving up something to gain something else. I wish N-Trig was an equal competitor for Wacom; at the very least offering the same range of application support.

5. Zero

Zero Scribbler - Standard Member

At least N-Trig doesn't have the problem with the edge of the screen , correct?

6. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd be curious to see how the base Pentium model pricing will be like, and if it is using the same exact screen as the Duo 11, or are they using the slightly more improved Pro 11 display. Also read in another thread Sony is working with Adobe to get things working correctly.

7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's too many threads talking about this stuff!

I noted somewhere else the following. . .

I really want to try out an N-Trig machine to see if it's really worth the attention. I'd also like to know if the pressure curve can be tweaked, either in software or from the driver.

Anyway, if Sony has working drivers for Photoshop, then this really is going to be something to pay attention to.

A 15" tablet at 1920 x 1080 with dedicated graphics? This is something we've been waiting for for years! It's all going to come down to the artist reviews in a few months time.

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member

Engadget mentioned a very interesting tidbit:

"Returning to that display for a moment, the tablet uses an N-Trig digitizer to enable pen input. Sony says it chose N-Trig over Wacom in part because N-Trig's pens put their sensors closer toward the tip, allowing for better accuracy. "

Really? :confused: Is that the reason? Out of all the reasons Ntrig actually brags about (mainly compact circuitry and cost savings), Sony chose Ntrig over Wacom to improve accuracy?

If it's true, this actually makes me think we'd be better off if Wacom had a monopoly!

I mean all these Sony products are spec/design-wise excellent products. The Duo 13 regularly outperforms other Haswell ultraportables while retaining excellent weight and battery life, and the these new products look to be continuing that trend. The only thing preventing these machines from being top-class contenders for best Tablet PCs is the DuoSense 2. And all because, some well-intentioned person from Sony wanted to improve the stylus experience...Ugh! Tell me this is a joke!

10. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

It is interesting that the Engadget article says

I'm thinking that has to be a typo.

11. dcbCreative

dcbCreative Here for cookies.

I don't know if its a joke... ...But I'm certainly laughing.

Hard to believe anything any company says about its products. Of course everything they do is in the best interest of the consumer experience. Of course.

Indeed, I thought that was a typo as well. Though I've started to see in other discussions rumor that Sony worked with Adobe to improve N-Trigs responsiveness. Looking forward to reading confirmation on this.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. cmenice

I'll believe it when it gets tested and reviewed :)

13. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

So far this is the only tablet from the event that I am really excited about. I loved my surface pro but am glad I sold it when I did. This seems to destroy the surface pro and from the reports that state the surface pro 2 will keep the same design, I rather get this and go a little bigger on the display and a little thinner too.

14. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member

I would laugh—if I didn't want to cry so much. It boggles my mind how manufacturers could have such a basic misunderstanding. More mind boggling is why Wacom does nothing to correct it. Every next-gen active-penabled tablet has been sporting an N-Trig...makes you wonder if Wacom deliberately did not bid on Tablet PC digitizers for 2013 in order to further increase the exclusivity the Cintiq Companion.

Guys, I don't mean to be spoil sport, but just look at the lag at 1:35 of the first demo video (and the eraser lag looks even worse). I mean pressure sensitivity aside, the pen has to function responsively, with reliable palm rejection, and side button programmability. These are the basics!

15. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I dunno about how it was on Windows, but when I used the HTC Flyer pen(which has two buttons) on my Thinkpad Tablet(one button pen), I found in most apps that had N-Trig pen support, I was able to program at least one button.

16. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Acer R7 refresh will also have a 15.6" 1080p, N-Trig duosense 2 digitizer and dedicated graphics. Who did N-Trig sleep with to gets its pens in so many designs?

17. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed - that lag is appalling. Is that really the best that Sony/N-trig can do?

18. cmenice

This lag could be the software. It's probably using some beta Vaio Paper software. Also, it looks like it might be a vector based erase, which can be laggy sometimes. Just saying there could be a couple of reasons for the lag on the eraser.

The pen line looked decent though.

19. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you guys kidding me?

The product line is AMAZING. The designers LISTENED to the artist community.

Watch the video and listen to the presenter's script:

Sony announces VAIO Flip PC, looks to steal the IdeaPad Yoga's thunder

NEVER in the past has a tablet pc vendor specifically addressed the concerns of artists. It comes up several times; he even said point blank that there WILL be pressure sensitivity in Photoshop. -When, *EVER* have you heard a tablet pc vendor even realize that this is a concern for their customers, let alone specifically make it a selling point? Sony clearly did their market research and listened to what the artist community has been asking for. The top three points have been, (for years):

1. Bigger screens.
    2. Better edge accuracy.
    3. Powerful guts with dedicated graphics cards.

How can anybody gripe when they give us *exactly* those things.

20. cmenice

Now, if we can just get some more standard support for the N-trig digitizer I would be happy. I really like Painter and am reluctant to give it up. I like MS5 and use it a lot too.

It seems to me the TAP 11 is really the only tablet we've seen from IFA (unless I missed something). I was really hoping for some new true tablets with Haswell or Baytrail. I really don't want to buy the Note 10.1 as my tablet, but I might be forced to.