son with disabilities

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by LJF14, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LJF14

LJF14 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,
    my son has apraxia which makes it hard for anyone to understand him, and also cerebral palsy, which makes it hard for him to write very well because of his muscle control.
    im looking for something that is durable, and that he can use with his fingers instead of the pen.he is going into kindergarten and they have some programs that will help him communicate better with his classmates and the teacher.
    anyone have any ideas on something that would work with him?

Thanks

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can not think of a direct Tablet suitable for your Son.... but have you checked out the 'Nomensa' site.

There's also the originsofcerebralpalsy.com site that may give some guidance.

If any of our members have any ideas.... please add.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. TabletKiosk Gail

TabletKiosk Gail Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    TabletKiosk offers a wide range of Tablet PCs and Ultra-Mobile PCs which feature Touchscreen and handwriting input. We have heard from many disabled customers who are delighted that they can have the full Vista or XP experience using a touchscreen. The Sahara Slate PC i440 series may be a great solution for you.

www.tabletkiosk.com

Gail Levy
    Director of Marketing
    TabletKiosk

4. apinkpony

apinkpony Scribbler - Standard Member

There are a few models that you can "write" with you fingers, The Sahara AND the HP TX100Z but they may not truly function as you are hoping they will, the finger writing would stay as writing. I do not know what programs are available or what you are looking for, but one of these may fit your needs with the proper program.

5. P8RSON

Thank you Gail for the input.

I'll let you liaise with LJF14 to see if you can help him out. :)

6. JR7

JR7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Try out voice recognition as well as screen input. Unlike people, computers come with voice-training programs that let them learn a person's specific way of talking. Just because people may have difficulty understanding him does not necessarily mean that a computer will, too. It may give your little guy another option to communicate. Windows XP and Vista each have some speech recognition built in, so you can do try it out for free (assuming your pc has a microphone). If it's encouraging but not good enough, you could try out speech-recognition specialty software like Dragon and others.

Good luck,

JR

7. P8RSON

Don't forget though Pink, he is looking for a machine that has to be strong & robust.
    I don't think the HP will be strong enough.... the Sahara TufTab may though be a better option.

8. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

What would be best if you get a a cross between the Toughbook and the TX1000. Meaning that you have the strong and robust, you could look into the shells for the tablet pc, meaning that you can go with say the hp TX1000 and have the great spec and then put it in a shock proof case/shell. This may be he better option as you may not spending more money then you have to. And I know that you would spend anything to help family but if there is a cheap option, its better to have the extra money in your pocket rather then the shops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.