Someone finally doing a MPP portable monitor but with Holy sh*te specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shogmaster, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If Samsung and S pen didn't exist, I would tend to agree with you.

If hypothetically I would be in Ken's shoe and attempted a Wacom EMR device, i would try to partner with Samsung and not Wacom. I'm sure they currently are dealing more with HP than MS for the MPP panels used.

2. Pepper Jobs Ken

Pepper Jobs Ken Pen Pal - Newbie

In reality, MPP 2.0 is our best choice at the moment, we shall spend the coming week optimizing its performance and provide an update. We can at least make it better than other solutions of the same kind on the market even though it's not EMR.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Dell Canvas if you read "thatcomicsguy" was crippled in some aspects and not a true competitor to a Cintiq. The Lt1423p is as you say a poor implementation - I didn't say Wacom wouldn't sell to a rival who was selling cheaper - I said it would be crippled somehow.

As above - Samsung Spen is a device not on par with Cintiqs. It's the step down (and thus crippled) in comparison with Wacom's high end.

I just think always asking for EMR is a dead end - why not just buy a Wacom and invest in a Wacom if that's all you want? At least if MPP is getting better and better, it will become a rival.
    there are still plenty of artists who will swear that iPad Pro is no match for a Cintiq but any iPad is "dead on" cursor accurate in comparison to EMR. I've said it for years, Azzart has said it for years on this forum. EMR is no match for accurately hitting a small Bezier curve handle first time on a vector drawing under any circumstance. And as for tilt - I've not ever seen anything on any platform that can rival tilt on an iPad in ProCreate.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh they were both definitely crippled, whither or not they were crippled deliberately though, that may be another story. But I also think it's important to stress that Wacom might be more desperate than ever. The iPad and Apple Pencil has a stranglehold grasp on the digital art market at this point (at least the perception of such anyway), and with so many other competitors who have solid products with Pen performance more solid then ever, and now with more and more Desktop apps coming to the mobile platforms (Clip Studio, Photoshop), low cost 3rd party competitors like XP pen and Huion slowly gaining more and more prominence, and Apples Sidecar function with an iPad is so well tuned it makes purchasing anything from Wacom kind unnecessary. Clip Studio already had the M1 build out, while the Wacom drivers won't be ready to January allegedly.

If someone were to come up to me and asked about getting into Digital Art, where as a decade ago my first word to them would have been Wacom, I really find it hard not to recommend a iPad, Surface, or Tab S7 over anything from Wacom. Wacom is rapidly falling behind the curve in a market they essentially created in the first place. If they want to stay relevant, they are going to have to start making bolder and more ambitious moves.

5. Pepper Jobs Ken

stylus_optimization.jpg
    We are optimizing the stylus performance this week, cheers.

6. doobiedoobiedum

Wishing you all the best in this. Not sure if it's been asked but what or who do you see your target market as being? Who will you use as reviewers / testers? (I'm not volunteering myself as I'm not in the USA)

7. Pepper Jobs Ken

hello, sorry for my late response, what do you mean by "target market"?

8. doobiedoobiedum

The people your company feels really want to use your digitiser. Are you looking at the Art / Engineering / illustration market or is it more of a general purpose screen that targets a wider range of user.

If you hang around the forums, you'll pick up that the artists tend to have very high expectations for stylus tablets - smoothness, accuracy and reliability at all areas of the screen tend to rank very VERY highly in our demands and they don't always work together - pin-point accuracy tends to be a 2nd concern.

90% of the Artist market still uses and loves EMR (Wacom) as it offers high smoothness and responsiveness (Initial Activation Force) but there is also another market which wants very high cursor + stylus accuracy (I have always been one of these) You could simplify it crudely into raster based painters vs vector (bezier handle) illustrators and Wacom's EMR hasn't replaced the need to use a mouse to actually select nodes / bezier handles reliably enough for most people who would use art programs like Illustrator or Corel Draw etc etc.

The ideal "Art" digitiser would (for me) offer EMR smoothness and IAF but also pin-point accuracy. I'm not enough of an animator to pretend to be a Disney or Pixar "professional" but I personally would not use any Wacom EMR stylus to hand draw line based animation for example - I'd throw the digitiser out of the window by frame 3. I still use a pencil and lightbox which I then digitise - it's a laborious process that makes animating even more laborious so I'm just curious what your digitiser offers that the current market doesn't.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  9. Pepper Jobs Ken

As promised, we shot 3 videos just now for the stylus performance update.

The final thing will only be better. :rolleyes:

Cheers~

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020