Some tips to make your XGA screen feel like an SXGA+

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kureshii, Oct 28, 2007.

1. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the T4220 with an XGA screen and most of the time I don't feel cramped. In fact I never feel cramped at all unless I am programming in two windows at once. To counter this I did some research and found some things that make your xga resolution feel like sxga+.

1. Change the default icon size from large to small. Small might be the 'normal' option. (you can do this or option 4)

2. Change the icons in the menu from large to small as well.

3. Set every window to 75%. <-This is where you REALLY see a difference. Some of the very small text gets a little blurry but you could go to 85 ish and it gets better.

4. Install the quick-app launcher and move all of your relevant icons into that box. I did this and removed the rest of my icons from the screen.

If you have more tips add them and we can make this a nice thread. (unless it has already been done, in that case my bad.)

2. Xenoproctologist

Xenoproctologist Pen Pal - Newbie

Switcher
    It's like Flip3D, except it's useful on a tablet pc. Bind it to one of your pen flicks and access to any app is a flick and a tap away.

Vista Virtual Desktops
    Have multiple desktops on which to place your apps. Have one desktop with your programming environment, another dedicated to web browsing, and a third for your notes, with as many more as you need. And with the right pen flick bindings, you can switch from one to another with just a flick-tap.

For those who don't know: Most web browsers have a full-screen "kiosk mode" which hides most or all of the toolbars, thus giving significantly more vertical screen realestate. Press F11 to enjoy the spaciousness.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I often run my XGA screen in a higher resolution than the standard 1024x768.

What I then do is launch say Photoshop, open all my tabbed windows (tools, palette etc, then scroll over to the right and place all the windows there.

Now scroll back to the left (takes half-a-second, or a flick of the wrist) and you are back to the main part of the screen.
    This now leaves you free to use the entire screen for your work....
    All tools etc are off the screen to the right, easily got at as above.

4. gadget

gadget Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you set the windows to 75%? (Vista)

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you're on XP you can get windows transparency by using Glass2k. Great freeware.

Easiest way to get more screen estate on XGA? Toolbar management. Most programs allows you to customise your toolbars and remove unnecessary ones. Do you really need New/Open/Save butons in MSWord? And did you know you can hide the Drawing toolbar? Try playing around with your toolbars, with enough patience and experimentation you can reduce them to a single row and still keep it very useable. And not to mention you can actually put toolbars along the sides, something many people don't notice.

[edit]Thought I'll upload a more useful screenshot, this time adding new menus and using the empty space beside the main menu more productively. If it feels like I added too many useless commands and left too much empty space, remember that this is customised for both laptop and tablet-mode use... if you use mainly laptop mode or tablet mode, remove/add commands & buttons to suit your needs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm,
    All these tips do little for me. It's just because the problem with XGA is not the limited real estate issue, but more of the viewing quality of the image. So all these suggestions are space saver hints rather than how to make your XGA feel like an SXGA+. What I'd like to know is how we can get an SXGA+ and replace our XGA with it.

Kureshii I noticed you're doing some linear algebra in the back there. Hope it's going well. How was your lecture today? 10.30 am wasn't it? lol

7. kureshii

Not good... I'm taking Linear Algebra I, II and Quantum Mechanics all in the same semester thanks to a slight planning screwup - I'm part of the pioneer batch in a new programme they're trying out, where they subject a group of engineering and science students to science courses under each of the different schools. That's 1 semester of physics, chemistry, biology and maths under the respective schools (in lieu of the usual engineering-oriented versions of the modules that the mainstream students take), and 2 additional semesters of physics and maths. I'm in the third and final semester of these additional courses, and ended up with said unholy combination mentioned above. That Linear Algebra lecture was at 1.30pm.

Ranting aside, I'm sorry about the resolution - photobucket has a size cap of 800X600, and I'm too lazy to find another image host.

Agreed about the XGA's image quality - sometimes when writing up close I can see the individual pixel outlines really clearly, though I've quickly gotten used to it. The Cleartype tuning applet has done much to improve text quality though.

8. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

kureshii,

I went on ahead and made a short (1min:30sec) animation on how to make a minimalist toolbar you have in one of the image links you provided. Also, for Photobucket, you can upload an image up to 1024x768 (for free accounts) by looking for "max image size: 1024 x 768 (options)" and clicking the "options" link to change it from 800x600 to 1024x768. :)

For those viewing the animation, remember that this animation is just a basic how-to, there are many other ways and means that you can customize it to, but this is just to get you out the door and explore around. I also apologize for the 720x480 resolution, as I wanted the file size to be as small as possible, but still readable, and also for slightly messing with the width of this thread. In addition, this animation will loop indefinitely. ;)

To get the menu bar you see in the first few seconds of the animation, right click near the menu or toolbars and continue with the animation. Also, I am dragging items to and fro.

[​IMG]

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nicely run animation Chris. :)

10. kureshii

Ah, thanks for the tip, Chris =) And nice GIF animation - I was just thinking of finding a GIF animator and getting down to learning it, but with my current schedule it's out of the picture for now =P