Some thoughts on the snap to feature

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kumabjorn, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

    Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

    Messages:
    4,313
    Likes Received:
    2,382
    Trophy Points:
    231
    When I open desktop software (remember when it was software and not apps?) in Windows 10 they are all over the place. So I use the snap to feature a lot Win+Left or Right arrow. This leaves me with half the screen occupied by the app and since I have 27" screens there is plenty of free real estate and under utilized app space. Hence I resize the windows to take up 75 - 80 % of the screen. I then open another application and do the same thing all over again. That way I have two big applications with lots of real estate running side by side on the same screen. Easy to click on the other windows when I need to switch between the two applications. But rather tedious to setup to go through every morning. Since I have two of those big external monitors it takes a few minutes.
    So it got me thinking, why can't Microsoft make the snap to feature more customizable? Seems they are doing exactly the same things that are wrong with Apple, insisting on controlling the user's environment. Why not a Save this configuration command upon the Close bar (?), so the next time I open the application it will snap to the left margin on monitor 2 taking up 77 % of the real estate and the same goes for the other applications as well.
     
  2. JoeS

    JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

    Messages:
    4,909
    Likes Received:
    2,954
    Trophy Points:
    231
    Actually, if you snap one to the left (you can also do this by grabbing the title bar and dragging left until your mouse pointer hits the left screen edge, then release) and snap another one to the right so that they are 50% each, and then grab the central divider to resize, one window shrinks while the other expands. At least for some 'apps' it works like that. Does that help?
     
  3. Kumabjorn

    Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

    Messages:
    4,313
    Likes Received:
    2,382
    Trophy Points:
    231
    Nope, because that leaves one app with 75% and the other with 25%, I want both to have 75%, overlapping each other, don't need to see both at the same time, but being able to activate the other with a simple click. Dragging the divider back an forth takes a few seconds (and not always the easiest to grab hold of) whereas a click is instantaneous.

    Balbutio ergo sum
     
  4. JoeS

    JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

    Messages:
    4,909
    Likes Received:
    2,954
    Trophy Points:
    231
    Ah, makes sense. Another thing, for many (all?) apps: if you open the window, resize it to the way you like, and close it, the next time you launch it it will open at that size and position next time. Does that help?

    Edit: I guess you want that to work also for a snapped state. Makes sense. To the Feedback Hub!
     
  5. Kumabjorn

    Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

    Messages:
    4,313
    Likes Received:
    2,382
    Trophy Points:
    231
    That is the thing, it doesn't. Don't know if it is because of the multiple monitor setup or what. That always used to work, but I suspect the snap to feature nullifies those memory settings.

    Balbutio ergo sum
     
  6. JoeS

    JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

    Messages:
    4,909
    Likes Received:
    2,954
    Trophy Points:
    231
    Somewhere in their code it stores the last non-snapped window size and position. I knew from past experience that Windows wouldn't remember a maximized window state, and apparently this also prevents a snapped state from being saved. I'd also like to see that changed, but in the meantime, there are utilities (sorry, apps) that might help. This paid option looks decent: http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager_Screenshot.htm (from this discussion).
     
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

    Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

    Messages:
    4,313
    Likes Received:
    2,382
    Trophy Points:
    231
    Just wish that feature was native to Windows. I can't be the only one that likes to fidget with my windows layout.

    Balbutio ergo sum
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page