Some cheap solutions for use of a tablet without a keyboard

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by lblb, Dec 2, 2014.

1. elerouxx

elerouxx Pen Pal - Newbie

I have (or used to have, it's broken now after several years) a bluetooth numeric keypad with some additional media buttons like the one below. It was great for many tasks, and almost as small as a remote control. I think there are a number of bluetooth or even wired numpads that can be used for this purpose.

I've been thinking on a little project of tearing apart a cheap usb keyboard and use its controller (they are usually a very small circuit board) to create some custom one-row keyboard (say: alt, ctrl, shift, enter... etc) that could be attached or clipped to some border of the surface/tablet. Maybe this is not too hard to do.

Attached Files:

2. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

Some one had done that before and you might want to have a look.

T-ravisty and ron2k_1 like this.
  3. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

So I got my Zeemote and I'm liking it!
    [​IMG]

And this is my custom setup. I just need to get a little nub sticker button for button C as it a bit too recessed for my middle finger's preference:
    [​IMG]

Ignore the VK?? those are the virtual key codes I was planning to send lblb to help me out mapping the keys without the help of Zeekey. However, I realized that the little bugger doesn't really connect unless Zeekey is running and for that matter I wouldn't bother him and just stick to Zeekey.

To map the keys you need the Zeekey utility. You need to connect it every time you start the program and you can create different profiles with different key maps. They will not switch automatically depending on software so you need to do that manually. This is my only set up now, I'll set other profiles for other softwares later on. Right now it was for testing. Note that Zeekey will not accept modifier keys by themselves, so for Shift I had to use "Shift + |" and for Alt "Alt `". All credit goes to cleft as he gave me all the tips and the Zeekey software.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@elerouxx
    I've used a numpad before and it works great. Unfortunately, they don't really fit in one hand so I started using something else for more practicality. For a while I also used a microkeyboard (like this http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-...qid=1421286731&sr=1-1&keywords=micro+keyboard) but it was still too big and there were way too many buttons to be really useful.

@cleft
    That looks cool! Although my preference would still be to have the controller in one hand and not attached directly to a USB port.It's nice to see how creative all these tablet users are!

This looks great @ron2k_1 !

Indeed, you probably don't need to use AutoHotkey. But the fact that you can detect the buttons as virtual keys means that you could probably remap them with AutoHotkey and do some more powerful stuff. For example, you could potentially (depending on how that Zeekey utility works... maybe it wouldn't work...) use AHK to remap the buttons for different programs so that you wouldn't have to manually shift profiles in Zeekey.

I in fact have switched over to a new even cheaper setup! This small Windows remote usually sells for less than 5$ and easily fits in one hand:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050PUGZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty much any button can be easily remapped with AHK with no need for external software (and so benefiting from the full power of AHK). At this point, this would be my first recommendation for anyone looking for some type of controller to use with a tablet. However, it doesn't have the nice fit-in-your-hand design and Bluetooth connectivity of the Zeemote controller. As with the remote control in the first post, it works with a USB IR sensor. That's not as attractive as Bluetooth connectivity but hey, the new Wacom remote seems to use the same type of USB-connected sensor and I'm sure many users will be willing to shell out way more than 5$ on it!

ron2k_1 likes this.
  5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Artists and their toys...

6. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been tinkering around with Hippo remote for iPhone recently for shortcuts. The biggest draw back is just draining my phone's battery. Though, having a nice handy remote control for shortcuts just proves to me how useful it will be if Wacom allows their new expresskey remote on Tablet PCs. image.jpg

7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Similarly to Hippo (if you accept that a cheap app and an expensive iPhone constitute a cheap option as per this thread's title!), Duet Display now works with PC's and allows you to use your iPad as a secondary screen (it's wired to the PC so apparently no lags). The reviews are excellent so far and it only costs $10 (but you need that iPad!) May be useful to push those drawing software panels on the iPad screen and interact with them with touch. Sounds pretty cool! If it works well, it could be pretty cool for artists! Anyway, I don't have an iPad and am not an artist...

See:

http://www.duetdisplay.com/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/12/8591033/duet-display-windows-support

8. justice frangipane

justice frangipane Pen Pal - Newbie

hello to everyone.

have you guys tried Tablet pc mouse. they have an artist pad that is really simple to setup and works really well. I work with the developer on the software and saw this thread. We are currently working on version 2.0 and could use input on how to make the artist pad (hotkey buttons that sit on screen and allow for rapid tool change) better.

9. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

I remember reading about TabletPCMouse before. It looks awesome. The new version is very much like a combination of ArtDock and Toolbar Creator with more user-friendly interface. Definitely will check it out when I've got a new Windows 8/10 tablet.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015