Some analysis on Samsung S Pen's weird eraser button behavior

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by march_happy, Jul 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. march_happy

march_happy Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess some users, like me, are perplexed by S Pen's werid behaviour in Win32 applications. In order to erase something, you have to move S Pen out of detection range, press the side button and then move back. Then I digged deeper into this problem, finding that this is highly possibly caused by Windows itself. Details are given in Microsoft community:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ehaviour/d030ca8e-f44a-43d3-a164-80220cd821da

If you ever bothered by this, please click "I have the same question" at the bottom, letting Microsoft knows that the side button functionability is broken on (at least for my owned) all Samsung laptops with S Pen.

P.S. If you are really annoyed by this, give Linux (and Krita, GIMP, etc.) a try. Linux's libwacom driver works well.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    thatcomicsguy, WillAdams and Marty like this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Maybe Radialmenu could also be trained to overcome the issue in Windows applications..?

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Or alternatively, get an EMR pen with a back end eraser like the HP Zbook X2 pen, which works Great on all s-pen devices. I can attest to that, the backend eraser never gave me any trouble.

thatcomicsguy and march_happy like this.
  4. march_happy

march_happy Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I could confirm this. And yesterday I did some tests by swapping Samsung's Wacom chip's hardware id (ACPI\WCOM002C) with one supported by Wacom Feel (ACPI\WCOM0022). Zbook x2 stylus' side button is mapped as right click, but Wacom Settings refuses to open.

Opening another post in Wacom EU community, hoping that this time someone from driver team could finally fix this (by adding official support for Samsung devices in Wacom Feel driver).

My guess is that I used a wrong hardware id registering different events. So anyone knows what's the hardware id of Acer ConceptD9's Wacom digitizer? It is the same 4096 level pressure and two buttons, and might work.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Marty likes this.