Solving the C204TMi nvidia drivers problem with Source

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by MCW, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas.k

Thomas.k Pen Pal - Newbie

The default drivers that comes with the C204tmi made the users very happy, especially if they want to play Source Engine games (HL2/CS Source). After you start up the game a beautiful blue screen of death appear followed by a system reboot.:mad:

To solve this you have to install the latest nvidia official drivers, but since the official drivers don't have support for our tablet pc neither geforce go cards, we have to make some modifications in the setup config file to make them work.
    Here are the steps:

1. Download the official drivers from Nvidia download page (81.98)
    2. Try to install, It will fail, but at least they are extracted in the C:\NVIDIA folder.
    3. Enter in this folder and find the file nv4_disp.inf , open to edit it (Notepad).
    4. Add a line in the [NVIDIA.Mfg] section:
    Code:
    %NVIDIA_NV44.DEV_0167.2% = nv4_NV3x,     PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0167&SUBSYS_007B1025
    5. Add a line in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]:
    Code:
    HKR,, NvCplEnableRotatePage, %REG_DWORD%, 1
    6. Change the line in the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings], from:
    Code:
    HKR,, RotateFlag,                  %REG_DWORD%,    4
    to:
    Code:
    HKR,, RotateFlag,                  %REG_DWORD%,    16
    7. Add the line in ;Localizable Strings :
    Code:
    NVIDIA_NV44.DEV_0167.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200"
    8. Save the file and run the setup.exe

Now we can play Source!
    Have fun!:D

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thomas thanks for sharing. There are also universal drivers out there that have been tweaked to work under the OEM images. Your idea however seems to work. Good deal!

3. Thomas.k

Hello Barry :) , so I tested the tweaked universal drivers from the sites laptopvideo2go.com and guru3d.com, the problem is that those drivers don't work, even with the tablet strings (of the 5,6 and 7 steps). When you close to the tablet mode the screen keeps refreshing on and off forever, trying to change to portriat as if it don't remember what aspect you were working on tablet mode, the only way to stop it is to open the tablet again returning to the landscape mode.
    I think it's just a performance tweak of the unnoficial drivers that are causing this odd thing on acer tablet, I tried to figure it out without success. :-(

4. villalain

villalain Pen Pal - Newbie

Many thanks, Thomas!. It has worked perfectly for the nvidia 81.98 drivers.
    Regards,
    José.

Pd. If I may ask, how can I run msi files in the c204?. They do not run in mine.

5. Thomas.k

José, strange... I don't have problems with those... here I run them with no worries... have you tried the windows update? If I remember it well, they had one or two updates for the Microsoft installer...

6. screwball

screwball Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Thomas

When using the modded drivers from laptopvideo2go.com I had the same screen refresh problem when switching to tablet mode. After applying your workaround everything seems to be working fine with the official driver version 84.21.

Thanks for your solution
    Thorsten

7. ITS ME

ITS ME Pen Pal - Newbie

i have done all that thomas.k told me but it wont install please help me i really whant to play half life 2 episode1.... please help!

8. ITS ME

ITS ME Pen Pal - Newbie

hey screwball if it worked for you can you post the whole code in the nv4_dips.inf just copy paste it cuz what thomas.k said wont work and ill try again

9. MCW

MCW Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got HL2:EP1 (although not got round installing it yet) .. Would I have to to this for my 213 (Geforce Go 7300)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.