Solved Windows 7 and tx2510us pressure problem with CS4

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by elerouxx, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elerouxx

elerouxx Pen Pal - Newbie

This was a long struggle I finally figured out, so I am posting this here in case it's useful to others.

I recently upgraded my system to Windows 7, x64, and found out that the pressure sensitivity of my tablet wasn't working with certain applications. While it works with ArtRage and most apps, it didn't work with Photoshop or Illustrator CS4 and Anime Studio 5.6, applications that I need to use.

(Note that, apart from pressure, these applications didn't see the eraser, pen buttons, and any other pen features other than point and click).

Following directions from this thread I solved the FIRST part of the problem: installed the Wacom Bamboo drivers instead of any official wacom OR microsoft drivers that were installed by default. then the pen pressure and other features worked fine! and also faster than before.

For this, I just downloaded the Wacom drivers and ran the SETUP, installing it over the drivers that were installed automatically. But if it doesn't work, I recommend to follow the exact directions in the thread above to remove all previous drivers.

1) Open Device Manager
    2) Under Human Interface Devices, uninstall Wacom USB Pen and Wacom USB Touch
    3) Run the Pen Tablet driver installer from Wacom and restart as needed.

The SECOND part of the problem was that the Wacom TOUCH broke after installing the wacom drivers! Pen OK but no fingers!
    I tried a lot of things with the Device Manager, and finally got a solution by uninstalling the Wacom USB Touch device (in device manager) and manually installing the USB Input Device drivers, by Microsoft. As follows:

1) Open Device Manager
    2) under Human Interface Devices, right-click on Wacom USB Touch, select Update Driver Software, ->Browse my computer for software ->Let me pick from a list...
    3) Instead of Wacom USB Touch, pick USB INPUT DEVICE. This will install a driver from Microsoft that will work with the HP tx2510us Touchscreen.

There was also a THIRD part of the problem - I use a secondary monitor to extend my desktop, and sometimes the TOUCH gets mapped to the secondary monitor! I touch my tablet screen but the cursor clicks on the other monitor. No, it's not funny or useful :).
    To fix this, I just uninstalled and reinstalled the USB INPUT DEVICE as above. I hope I don't have to mess with this again!

Greetings,

Emilio Le Roux
    tx2510us - Win 7 x64

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. elerouxx

UPDATE: About mapping the pen or touch to a secondary monitor / main display, this can be done with the windows Calibrate the Screen for Pen and Touch Input. It seems I only had to reset the calibration instead of reinstalling USB input device.

It's kinda cool that you can use your tablet display as a very big Wacom tablet mapped to a big secondary monitor, and that you can use your fingers to click things in the main display. But then, remember that drawing directly on the screen still is the real cool thing.

3. elerouxx

Sorry, I have to blog this somewhere :)

I found a little problem with photoshop CS4: it ignores the pen screen calibration.
    This also happens with all applications that used to ignore pressure and pen features before the fix.

It's usable, but just a bit inaccurate considering that you can calibrate accurately the pen for other applications. I don't know the reason of this. In the OS and other apps, the cursor is very accurate after the calibration.

4. ajreynol

ajreynol Pen Pal - Newbie

working for 2710p.

I got Photoshop CS4 and other programs that do not support pen pressure by default by uninstalling the default Windows 7 Wacom drivers listed under "Human Interface Deviced" in Device Manager, then installing this driver:

"Driver 5.20-7a for Windows 7, Vista (32 and 64 bit) and XP"
    http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=29&lang=en&send=1&product=MTE450

it's not the same driver the OP is referring to. I found that the one the OP is referring to caused some screen alignment issues that I couldn't resolve without uninstalling that driver. the 5.20-7a driver works perfectly...and it's newer anyway.

5. whatdoesitwant

whatdoesitwant Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm on a tx2650 with Windows 7 RC 64bit 7100 and after some playing around I can confirm elerouxx' findings. Although I had some trouble with it.

I think the trick is not to remove Windows Update's preinstalled drivers.

a
    I noticed that, after removing Windows Update's preinstalled drivers, installing the 511-1 version of the bamboo driver gave me pressure sensitivity but no eraser for the pen, as well as a flickering cursor.
    This was not solved by replacing the touch driver with the standard usb input option as described by elerouxx.

b
    I then tried the 520-7a driver that worked for ajreynol. I could not get pressure sensitivity and lost the eraser but the input was spot on.

c
    However i got it all working with the 511-1 driver by simply installing over the drivers that had been installed already by Windows update, without removing those beforehand. Eleroux explains that you can go to device manager, select the pen input, choose to update the driver software and select the driver from a list. Selecting the 3.0.0 wacom driver left me without pressure sensitivity. Selecting the 1.0.4.0 driver did the trick. (These drivers become available after installing the 511-1 driver and restarting your device).
    After confirming pen input is working, you can then retrieve touch input by selecting the touch input driver and replacing the driver with the Vista one that says usb input device.

PS: Also, as soon as it try to calibrate the pen input the behaviour as described in a) reoccurs.

6. xaueious

xaueious Pen Pal - Newbie

installing 520-7a driver straight to see what happens

edit: didn't work. i have a flickering pen. had to system restore because it would''t even let me restore the original driver.

How are you guys installing your new drivers? Can someone come up with a proper set of instructions? Why is this a sticky if this isn't even properly confirmed?

here's how i did it.

tx2524ca

RTM windows 7 x64

My way of doing it. WACOM tablet drivers from HP directly and use device manager - update driver on the default windows 7 driver. The driver from HP is older but detects pressure (confirmed on GIMP).

then install the configuration app for 5.20-7

This driver is older than the one that comes with windows 7 but seems to work with the new control panel app.

Method:
    1. download wacom hp tablet driver from HP here (hp released aug 2008, actual driver date 2007): http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...4311-1&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=1847962
    2. run the exe
    3. Restart

The newer driver doesn't even support the Wacom input built into our PCs. Just use the one from Wacom/HP (same version from official Wacom when you choose Tablet PC->Win 7)

7. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know how to keep Windows 7 from reinstalling the default driver for the tablet? I have the HP 2710p and using a few of the above options I get tablet functionality to work, complete with pressure sensitivity....however once I restart I need to reinstall the drivers, because Windows seems to remove the driver and installation after reinstalling.

8. elerouxx

Also installed 520-7a here. It would be perfect, except that to be usable in CS4 you have to manually disable flicks and press-and-hold. (Otherwise you get some pressure-less strokes).

The 511-1 and older drivers just ignore these features in CS4, but they can't be calibrated. Well, nobody's perfect.. I'll stick with 520-7a and disable these features when I really need to.

9. hbkdinobot

hbkdinobot Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a HP tx2510us with 64 bit Windows 7, and Photoshop CS4 pen pressure has been driving me crazy...

The 5.20-7a driver did not give me pen pressure at all.

The 511-1 driver did give me pen pressure, the calibration is a bit off on the menus, but the drawing area seems to be in alignment. I guess this is going to have to be livable... I am going to put it through some more testing and see if any other problems pop up.

Has anyone tried the HP Vista Drivers for Wacom yet?

10. hbkdinobot

hbkdinobot Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried the HP Vista drivers and they don't work at all... not surprising.

I have been using the 511-1 drivers for everyday use and I noticed that when I use the eraser on power point it skips to the next slide which is pretty annoying. Any word on if/when HP will release the correct drivers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.