Solution to Vista 64-bit "Print to OneNote" problem

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by turnerh1124, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Marcucci217

Marcucci217 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I haven't received my 64-bit tx2500 yet, but I've been hearing that the main problem with the 64 bit OS is the OneNote compatibility. Well after some searching and asking around other forums, I found this (most likely short-term) solution:

http://blog.nils-kaiser.de/2008/06/20/how-to-get-back-send-to-onenote-on-vista-x64/

Hopefully this works for people here, because I haven't tried it yet.

Just wanted to spread some possible good news....:)

2. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

Getting an image into 64 bit is pretty easy and you can do it for free. BUT the main issue is that the printer driver also runs the OCR engine in OneNote and so the documents will not be OCR'd and the text in them will not be searchable.

Your link does not change that. It just automates the inserting process a bit.

Gordon

3. GG4549

GG4549 Pen Pal - Newbie

how can you do it for free? That guys blog seems to show that you have to eventually buy that program for $50 after the 30 day trial runs out...

4. manchesterunited222

manchesterunited222 Pen Pal - Newbie

im staying away from vista 64 bit until this issue is fixed by Microsoft.

5. erikthered

erikthered Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is the free solution. its works perfectly for me. this is taken from:
    http://blog.nils-kaiser.de/2008/06/20/how-to-get-back-send-to-onenote-on-vista-x64/

Download pdfcreator from:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/

Instructions for a fully automated print to OneNote solution with PDFcreator.

Regarding using pdfcreator:

double click on pdfcreator icon (desktop) after install the program
    click on Printer tab (there are 4 tabs: Printer, Document, View ,and ? )
    choose”options”

Optional: under “Save”, choose “TIFF” for “Standard save format”

FULLY Automated solution: under “Auto-save”, choose “TIFF” for “Autosave format”, “sendtoonenote” for “Filename”, “C:\” (or path of personal preference) for “Use this directory for auto-save”

under “Actions”, at Program/Script: choose Onenote.exe by: (vista64)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTE.EXE
    at Program parameters: i put /insertdoc “c:\sendtoonenote.tif” (else update with path of personal preference)

NOTE: I’ve unchecked “Wait until the program/script is ready” to resolve some PDFcreator hand-ups that seem to occure when OneNote is open.
    The tiff file can grow up to a 1GB for large multi-page documents, though it is overwritten just fine by PDFcreator on next use.
    Also PDFcreator doesn’t seem particularly stable but when it works it’s worth it as a x64 OneNote print driver until the MS Office team gets a clue.

Improve the default print quality by adding the following under ‘Ghostscript’:
    -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4

6. erikthered

erikthered Pen Pal - Newbie

ps ocr works too so its searchable!!!!!!!

7. MuseOfLife

MuseOfLife Pen Pal - Newbie

A lot of pdf creators do not support 64-bit OS. Today I have discovered new PDF Printer . It works ok on my 64-bit XP.

8. jw12345

jw12345 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just as a heads up, the Office 2010 tech preview fixes this completely. Though you can't really get the TP legitly right now.

(It also adds the ribbon and makes a lot of needed changes)

9. Donald1

Donald1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, that was promised by Microsoft to have fixed in Office 2010.
    Nevertheless it's a shame that Microsoft can't fix it in Office2007. They explained that it was difficult to solve due to the structure of the software in office2003/2007 but nevertheless this is a major drawback in using OneNote on a Vista 64bit system !

Sorry for complaining again on this issue...... but we are having a financial crisis and I don't think that my company will switch to the new Office version in the coming years.

10. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

Why fix the problem in a free update when you can sell it in a new package and try to force consumers to buy it if they want the problem gone.
    Just like with xp when the balloon tip popped up behind the taskbar.