Software to rotate start menu/taskbar from bottom to right of screen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sonus911, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know of a piece of software that can be used to quickly rotate the taskbar around the screen? I know that I can right click the taskbar, go to properties, and check the box, however I am looking for a one touch solution.

I like the task bar on the bottom of the screen in most situations. However, every now and then when I am using the stylus and witting in landscape, I prefer the task bar to be located on the left so that I am less likely to accidentally switch to or start an application with my palm.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey sonus911,

Hopefully someone can direct you to an existing solution. If not, I'm currently beta testing a AutoHotkey script that allows moving the taskbar in one click from an icon in the system tray. Also, it will be possible to have preferences and automatically place the taskbar at a given position when you switch back and forth between landscape and portrait modes.

In any case, right now I can only share the very rough scripts that are in the zip file that I've uploaded on Mediafire.com here:
    taskbar move.zip

You should be able to just double-click on them to move the taskbar. These work perfectly for me (and you can pin them to your taskbar) on three computers, but I've only tested them on Win 7 64 bit.

3. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you so very much! Much appreciated, I'll let you know how well it work on Win8 64 bit.

4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be great if you could report back about if or how it works in Win 8 64 bit. Hopefully it will work correctly.
    As I said, these are very crude versions but they work for me. When I'm done with the scripts, the icons are going to be more representative of what the buttons do, you will be able to use them by double-clicking on the file or pinning them to the taskbar (as here), or from an icon in the system tray. And it will only take one button to switch between two orientations. I just need to find some time to work on this.

5. themashordar

themashordar Pen Pal - Newbie

lblb,
    I registered just to say thanks and that I modified your script based on comments from
    Detect resolution change - Support - AutoHotkey Community
    to see if I could automagically move the taskbar when the screen autorotated, as a quick google search didn't provide any solutions.

to your code, I added:
    Code:
    #Persistent
    OnMessage(0x7E, "WM_DISPLAYCHANGE")
    return

WM_DISPLAYCHANGE(wParam, lParam)
    {
    	if (lParam = 50333014) {
    		TaskbarMove("Right")
    		return
    	}
    	if (lParam = 89522944) {
    		TaskbarMove("Bottom")
    		return
    	}
    }

Where 50333014 was the msgbox provided by ewerybody's script snippet when the screen autorotated to landscape, and 89522944 was when rotated to portrait. This is a samsung ativ 500t (win8.1, 32bit). The script seems to work wonderfully for me so far. I'm using blubeam revu for markups in portrait mode, and now I have roughly 1/2" more usable space on the right with the taskbar auto moving to the bottom.

Again, Thanks!

6. themashordar

themashordar Pen Pal - Newbie

Previous reply waiting for approval, and then I found your Apps for tablet PC thread with taskbar shuffler. Must have been a terrible google search the first time. Woops.

7. sergio28julio

sergio28julio Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, can you please share whole final code please? I want to use it for my Venue 11i Pro. Thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.