So, this is creepy

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kumabjorn, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have an Asus NIC. It is used for one, and only one thing, playing videos connected to a projector. In case any of the files contains some malware, it will be restricted to that box, and since it is never online, it shouldn't be able to send or receive anything. It is my way of protecting my other computers.

Well, guess what, today I found the update to Windows 10 icon on it. My router doesn't broadcast its SSID and the NIC has never been connected to it. I can't use it in Airplane Mode since a Bluetooth mouse is connected as my "remote control". How Microsoft got that thing on there is actually a bit frightening.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Maybe BadBIOS has been updated to include a Windows 10 upgrade component?

Marty likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

It is certainly a possible theory, but somehow I doubt Microsoft would be that eager. But the talk about spreading through a USB stick makes it at least plausible.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. Jamon

Jamon Scribbler - Standard Member

The Windows 10 upgrade icon is part of an update package from before April 2015. Most likely the machine has been connected to the Internet at least once since March.
    Go to "C:\Windows\System32" and look for the "GWX" folder. The file dates might show when it was online.

I'm not sure what your setup is based on the description, but if it has a wired or wireless network interface enabled, then it is likely either online now or has been in the past.
    Go to "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" and disable the network interfaces.

Go to "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security", and in the Firewall Properties, set Outbound and Inbound connections to "Block" for all profiles.
    Then go to Inbound and Outbound Rules and disable everything.

If you only need a dedicated machine for playing videos, you might not want to even waste a hard disk or Windows install, and instead boot a live Linux distro.
    http://kodi.tv/about/

5. Kumabjorn

July 11 for most of the files but some are as early as March. I can't delete the directory despite administrator status.

Yes, I'm happy to see you and that is a Sony Xperia in my pocket

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I was wondering too on Win 7. on one occasion, I shut down my computer and saw message "system updating". Given I had not done any update, nor my update is set to auto. nor I participate in any ms feedback programs.

MS is taking control in Win 7 as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.