So SSD's are more reliable than spinning hard drives (or not...)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by desertlap, May 7, 2021.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting read, but it still glosses over what is a really complex topic (and also why I continue to despise most benchmarks)

As I think I have mentioned, my company makes custom, close to one off devices that are very frequently used in extreme environments.

For us, SSDs have been a major blessing as they are far less susceptible to damage from shock or extreme high or low temperatures.

OTOH, in our data center we still use a great many spinning drives for a variety of reasons including cost, but also much more arcane things like total read/write cycles, or for that matter recovery when they do fail (and all storage will fail sooner or later)

TLDR; This is why when I get asked these questions, my response always starts with, "well let's talk about how you are going to use it....."

storage-study-indicates-ssds-fail-less-often-than-hdds-and-also-maybe-not

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah so far I haven't run into a failure myself. It's great never to experience that sense of agony as the HDD head rescans the same sector trying to read a dying file.. I do always wonder about 'bit rot' on SSDs. I hope they monitor and correct for that, because otherwise those occasional full drive images are not going to be great backups.

3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah the western digitals we had a ton of would make a very audible click, buzz, repeat, sound.

BTW: I don't know if it is still true but it was in the early days; a SSD is 15,000 times more likely to suffer a write failure than a read failure

sonichedgehog360 and JoeS like this.