So much for using a SMART Sympodium ID250 as a Wacom Cintiq 15X.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NamelessPlayer, Dec 7, 2010.

1. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I found one of these locally for just under $150, tax included. Saw a Wacom Penabled badge in the lower-right corner, had "DTF-510" labeled on the back, and it looks pretty much just like a Cintiq 15X variant with the five buttons on top, just with some different branding and button labels. Surely, it would work just like a Cintiq 15X with its drivers, right?

Wrong.

Wacom drivers just won't recognize it, and a little digging deep revealed why: its VID isn't the usual Wacom 056A, but 0B8C, which I'm guessing is SMART's own VID. I tried making an edit in the wacmoumonitor.inf to accommodate that, but that wasn't enough.

SMART's drivers work (as part of a 300 MB package with some notebook software; can't they just distribute standalone drivers?), but with some caveats. No pressure sensitivity, and Windows 7 doesn't even recognize it as a proper pen input device to where I can set it as a "Tablet PC" screen.

However, that's not all that's weird with it. It has a pen with no side buttons and no eraser-just the main nib. It tracks on my E-295C with its Penabled/UD digitizer, of course, though it won't click. The ID250 doesn't track my E-295C pen or Axiotron Studio Pen at all...from the nib side, but it tracks the eraser side, albeit not registering anything from eraser pressure or side buttons. But it's in the hidden diagnostics screen (Ctrl-click the "About" button in the Wacom control panel) that things get really weird. (I'm bringing this up on my E-295C, of course.)

The normal nib side has a device ID of 0x4020, and the eraser side has an ID of 0xc020. You can probably guess which one the ID250 pen uses. The issue here is that a standard Wacom pen would toggle the first switch and turn the first 0 into a 1 in the Switches row, as well as showing the exact pressure value, but the ID250 pen does neither. In fact, nothing changes except for the cursor starting to spike out and jerk around the actual pen position. It may not even be capable of pressure sensitivity beyond "0" and "1".

Too bad, since I was hoping that the digitizer would be enough to redeem its use of a lousy TN LCD panel and lack of DVI ports, not to mention the whole thing being in surprisingly good condition (few scratches and scuffs, none of which are on the screen or even the front bezel). Guess I'll have to return it, save up some more money, and hope that I can get a proper Cintiq 15X or possibly 17X. (Just something that'll give my desktop the defining trait of a proper Tablet PC, so that I can have on-screen pen input without having to put up with slower CPUs and especially GPUs.)

(So why am I posting this here? This is a pretty knowledgeable forum about Wacom Penabled/UD hardware in general. Maybe one of you could come up with something. Alternatively, it's a heads-up for anyone else who comes across one of these outside of a classroom and up for sale.)

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just FYI, The DTF series are NOT frequency compatible with Penabled pens nor older Cintiqs (DTU series).

3. NamelessPlayer

Ah, the one person who I was hoping would show up!

This certainly complicates things. I was under the impression that incompatible parts just don't seem to register at all no matter what, like between my Penabled tablet, my Graphire4, and the uni's Intuos4 and new Cintiq 21UX, and that all variants of the Cintiq 15X, DTF-510, and PL-550 were Penabled/UD.

I still doubt I'll stick it out with the ID250 and try to get it working just like I want, though. I already get frustrated enough over driver problems when they crop up, and it would be nice to not have to mod every new batch of Wacom drivers that show up. (If they can even be modified to work at all with the ID250, that is.)

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yep. It's definitely good to record this stuff for anybody else trying to make heads or tails of the various technologies out there.

There are certainly a few odd birds scuttling around in the undergrowth of tablet land. I ran across a listing on eBay for some used tablets which were made by a company called "Intergraph". They look like bits of gear made on some military contract, don't come with pens and their plugs look like something which would be challenging to hook into modern consumer gear. . .

Intergraph FTIS11204 Graphic Tablet - eBay (item 190469807960 end time Dec-17-10 14:45:57 PST)

I bet there's some really neat technology available for people who have to figure out where to fire their missiles and such. If they could just get that stuff to run Photoshop. . .

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmmm...
    So it contains some parts from Wacom, but the rest of it is custom from a different company... you tried all the DTF series drivers on Wacom's download page? Wacom Hardware Drivers

If that doesn't work I guess you can always write your own code/ driver. so get a group of friends to help you with this and (slowly at first) build your own digitizer empire that will, at the end of 2011, take over the (previously) Wacom monopolized market. You'll need a good motto, how about "Digitizer Globly-Plex: By Artists for Artists". :)

I kid :p , but seriously the only way you will get it working is a) write a new driver b) re-write the existing driver c) write a small program that will act as a middle man between the tablet and the Wacom driver

6. NamelessPlayer

Too late for any driver hackery. Already returned it yesterday. Ate a restocking fee in the process (and the guy apparently running the store was apparently pushy about the whole "we know it works, bring your computer here and I'll install the drivers for you"), but I've got most of my money back-in cash, as was originally paid.

I'm not really much of a programmer due to lack of skills, and coding drivers that work properly and reliably would be quite a tall order, even with the needed skills. I think I'll just keep my eyes peeled for cheap Cintiq 15Xs, maybe cheap 17Xs if I'm lucky.