So I Bought a t2010... Now What?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Tazriel, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tazriel

Tazriel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    I just bought an open box t2010 on Ebay, the "low-end" model with the 1.06 processor, 60Gigs HDD, 1 gig of RAM, and an indoor screen.
    Now what?
    I'm trying to compile a list of things to do/buy to optimize this tablet to the fullest. I have a few ideas, and was wondering if anyone could add to this:

1) Upgrade the RAM to 4G. I'm looking at this at the moment.
    2) Get an external dvd drive. Nothing flashy, just to get the job done. This looks decent.
    3) Use the restore disc to upgrade to Vista Business for the tablet features.
    4) Follow the Optimize Vista thread
    5) Better HDD. My budget prevents this for now, but it seems like a high-capacity 7200RPM would help a lot.
    6) Remove the factory screen protector on the indoor screen and replace it with an AR Photodon. Has anyone done this? Does it improve the screen quality? I'm going to wait on this one... if I can live with the indoor screen, I'd rather not void the warranty.

Alright, you're turn. What's the best thing you've done to improve your tablet? Is there any useful tablet-specific software that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. powowcow

powowcow Tablet PC Lover

Sounds like you've got everything covered except one: get a USB hub, it will save your life.

3. nakedape

nakedape T2010

I bought the same GSkill RAM and Photodon Clear screen protector you mentioned. Both work wonderfully, especially the screen protector. For $20 you can't buy a more important enhancement for your T2010.

As for software, OneNote 2007(which may have come with yours if you got it off the Fujitsu eBay Store) is great for organizing papers and taking notes. If you use FireFox, get the "Grab and Drag" extension for easy scrolling in slate mode.

Did your tablet come with XP or Vista? I want to upgrade to Vista Business as well, however I don't have a DVD drive to test if the disc works or if it was only prepackaged.

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Void your warrenty by changing a screen protector LMAO!!!!!!! No it will not void your warrenty.

As for switching to vista bee careful. The ULV processors (i have a 1.2ghz) dont run all too quick with vista considering they can be maxed out easily.

The HDD and optimization thread will make it respectable though

5. ates

ates New Tab Owner

Get a wireless mouse like a vx nano. The thumbstick on the t2010 is awful and sticks/drifts.

6. powowcow

powowcow Tablet PC Lover

I don't think it is that bad. It's temperamental, like Vista. It just takes some time to get used to it.

7. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I even think that the thumbstick is much better and more comfortable than a touchpad once you learned to use it, however an external small mouse is always good and often better, especially when you put the tablet on a tablet stand.

8. Tazriel

Tazriel Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys.

About the "screen protector" voiding the warranty, I apologize for being unclear. I wasn't talking about the screen protector, per say, but the AG coating between you and the bare glass (ie the layer you're not supposed to take off). For more clarification than I can give, look at this thread and Jamon's original thread.

Edit: also, I forgot to ask: for those of you who've used both vista and xp, do the "tablet features" vista provides outweigh the performance hit?

I don't actually have the tablet yet. However, the seller claimed that all the original accessories would be included, including the vista business restore disc. So I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. thrawn86

thrawn86 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've yet to see what "performance hit" people are talking about, much less any of these vista "quirks", save for UAC.

I have my 1ghz ULV w/ 2gb ram running throttled at 400mhz 90% of the time and its perfectly fine in vista running onenote, watching videos, etc. I only crank it up to full if I'm doing heavy simulations or something.

10. antipody

antipody Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies if this is a total noob question, but I looked in the BIOS and couldn't find any CPU clocking options. What do you use to underclock this thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.