So how you EP121 users getting on?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by jimmy1, May 24, 2011.

1. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

My biggest complaint is actually the lack of a dedicated GPU. All my art software would get much better performance with anything other than Intel graphics. Of course that would kill the battery even more, but I don't find myself away from power for more than a few hours anyway. I still love this thing though and prefer drawing on it over my Wacom tablets now. It's not quite as good as a Cintiq, but since it is far cheaper AND portable that is a tradeoff I am more than willing to make. I don't have any screen bleed on mine. My fan is always on though which is slightly annoying, but it's not loud enough to hear unless I'm in a silent room.

If you are looking for the perfect device, just give up now. You are wasting your time and money buying product after product looking for a perfect device without flaws. It doesn't exist. Even if the Eee Slate had an i7 CPU, Nvidia graphics, Wacom Intuos pen support (airbrush!), 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, USB3, eSATA, Thunderbolt, 20hour battery, and weighed a quarter pound, I would still find it lacking in some manner. I can bog down my 12 core monster workstation with ease just increasing the brush size in Photoshop, or rendering out anything in 3D.

The Eee Slate is what it is. Yes it has a few minor issues and something the size of a MacBook Air cannot be expected to run Photoshop as well as larger computers. The bottom line is the Eee Slate is best tablet device out there right now. Nothing else even comes close. If you want to find flaws you will find them, but I personally think this thing is badass.

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

The only way to beefup this tablet is to use is a miniture nuclear battery. no recharging..even better.

3. Lazer

Lazer Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had this for over almost a month now, and I absolutely love it to death. Sure, a better battery & bigger SSD (not much available in regards to quality mSATA) would be great, but it doesn't make me love it any less. I popped it open and replaced the wi-fi/bluetooth with the dual band intel one, which is small but nice inexpensive upgrade.

I've used this heavily with Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Office with great performance (to my standards anyway). I have no complaints whatsoever. As soon as Intel releases higher cap mSATA SSD and larger memory cards become available, I will swap them in. I assume at some point a battery upgrade will be available, but until then I will be happy with this machine. It's very awesome :)

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Best response so far( not disparaging others` comments though) There is no perfect device out there, & matter of fact will never be.

5. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

The above 4 posts are all great. There is no perfect unit, but like stated above, I do love this bad boy, because it gives me so much in such a small form. I wish it weighed less than a pound, had a 256gb ssd, 12gb ram and could make me breakfast... but for what it offers, and gives me, I am very happy. I have lusted for a unit like this for years now. Add 24 hour battery life to the above, and I am in heaven. But seriously, I do love this thing. Not perfect, but really gives me a great unit that provides so much of the things I need everyday.

6. Hardcore73

Hardcore73 Pen Pal - Newbie

Love it, love it, love it.

7. yvilla

yvilla Pen Pal - Newbie

I LOVE my slate!

Tablet PCs since launch in 2001: One Motion slate and 3 Toshiba convertibles. Also, Sony U70 with XP Tablet loaded, HP Slate 500.

I LOVE my slate!

8. Scootty83

Scootty83 Pen Pal - Newbie

+100

the battery is the only downside to the EP121. otherwise its what i have been looking for. i love mine! had it for almost a month now. no problems.

9. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the responses, its great to hear that there are happy users out there. The internet is alittle thin of real world user opinions and all the reviews Ive read seem to miss the point alittle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having owned an ipad I'm missing a tablet for media consumption. Watching films, internet browsing and reading comics would be my main entertainment usage. To justify the extra expense of the EP121 I would also use it for work and photoshop drawing & designs, no need for a Cintiq now. Darkmagistric brings up some points that certainly put me off in this area (and I thank you for your honesty and well written mini summary).

A convertible laptop is not for me because of weight, heat and I also find the pen doesn't respond well near the edges. Also the new ones are coming in alot more expensive than the EP121.

Apple, Asus and Motorola seem incapable of providing me an entertainment device that is not defective (screen bleeding ipads, Transformers and dead pixels Xoom) so I thought my best option now would be to go with a Windows tablet especially as I wont have to buy into a new app ecosystem. And I do want a tablet, I like the pick up and put down function. Reports of fan noise, screen bleed and pish poor battery life leave me feeling like I shouldn't buy a EP121 because for £1000 I couldn't live with these downsides.

Why is buying new tech such a lottery? If Amazon/Asus could say "we will provide you a 100% fault free product guaranteed" then maybe I could hand over my £1000, as Ive said before I dont think thats too much to ask. Ive had so many ipads go through my hands with screen bleed that people now question whether its me with the problem, as if its probably normal to have a device with an obvious fault because there all like it?! Or Im just "looking" for problems! Has the world gone mad? If I could get my hands on the fully functioning & fault free ipad 1 that I sold (to purchase and ipad 2) Id be happy because Ive tried to find another and its impossible. I regret my stupid decision of ditching my ipad 1 for the new shiney shiney.

Ive tried my hand at an X201 and a Motion LE1600 but they weren't for me. I gave up the X201 because it cost me the best part of £800 but it didn't respond well enough for me to be happy with the price and also it was too heavy and hot. The LE1600 was ok but as I purchased second hand it stank of cigarette smoke and the battery life was pretty poor so I returned it to seller in disgust! The EP121 shows alot of promise, good size, nice looks and build, powerful processor and Wacom penabled. It wouldnt be just for media consumption and restricted to a handful of useful apps or websites, I could get some work done on the move and away from my desk. I could visit any website, play any video format or install full fat applications onto it. Gah I dont know why Im wrestling myself over this...? Perhaps its just the price - I can afford it but its at a level of cost where for me it has to be perfect and I'm preempting that it wont be.

10. JimDandy

JimDandy Scribbler - Standard Member

Buy the EP121 for goodness sake...stop worrying, you are far more likely to get one that is 100% fine than otherwise. I think you're seeing lots of discussion on just a handful of tablets with problems, and most were quickly resolved with RMA's. What you don't see here are the thousands of completely satisfied recipients of the EP121 that have no problems.