So how you EP121 users getting on?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by jimmy1, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

The release date for more stock on Amazon UK is getting closer and Im twitching over the pre-order button.

How are you users who've had it for a while getting on?

What are your pro's and cons?

Im still a little concerned over battery life and fan noise, even the reports of some units have light leakage. These are the things that made cancel my first pre-order but no other tablet has stepped up to the plate yet and most likely wont until windows 8? I guess Im looking for some user opinions to help me with my own (seeing as I wont get an opportunity to use it in the flesh until I order my own)

Thanks in advance.

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The light leak or whatever it's called has increased a small bit on the unit I had but I really wasn't that bothered as it's the nicest tablet I've used so far. The screen quality and touch really is fantastic. With luck a new batch will remove the problem.

Although a director now uses the Tablet full time I still miss it and yes, the battery life is a concern but that is the ONLY concern I had and if it were not for that, it would still be here. You could always go one step further and implement the small things from this forum like turning off the touch screen element when it's not needed and camera to improve battery life.

I had no problems with the fan as I tweaked the thing quite a bit to ensure that it behaved. Zero issue with the fan.

All in all, to conclude (I now use a HP TM2), if they improved the battery life the Asus EP121 would be the only high powered, quality Windows tablet on the map today. It should also run Windows 8 with next to no problems and we all know that no-one else will (probably) release something better until then.

P.s. If I were you, I'd maybe consider waiting until a little more appears about the EB121... if that released with better battery life I'd scream.

3. bahaya

bahaya Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my machine for 2 months now and i am still impressed. This guy is so small and light, yet has a 12inch screen with wacom AND touch. It replaced my Cintiq 12wx. Anything smaller would be not so convenient to use imo. Battery life could be better of course but it depends where you are everyday. i am at the office, at bookstore, cafe and at home, so far i have never used the tablet for more than 3 hours away from a power socket.
    There is minor light leek at the border, can only tell in absolute darkness, my desktop monitor at home and also at office has that. i think that's the state of consumer technology right now.
    the fans are only noticable in very quiet environment but the sound is not distracting, just sounds like wind stream.

4. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

My expectation maybe high to some but I just couldnt live with screen bleed.

5. bahaya

bahaya Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, it's impossible to describe, everyone's perception is different. you gotta see and test it for yourself. :)

6. jimmy1

jimmy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

If only it was available to try in the UK but I dont see any stores stocking this as a demo unit. Amazon offer a very good return policy if I wasnt happy....

Ive now had ipads, Asus transformers and a Xoom which all had faulty screens. Ok Im unlucky and Im now looking for light leakage but this tablet is £1000!!

It does look freaking awsome and I keep watching the MobileTechReview video.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. YetAnotherDave

YetAnotherDave Pen Pal - Newbie

I love my ep121. Other than battery-life, it's about as good as it gets at the moment for a Windows tablet.

However, I do use the wife's iPad2 for reading books though, the ep121 is just a bit too beefy to hold in hand for extended periods.

8. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

The little time i had it (sent mine for repairs) was de very best PC i've ever had: small, fast, versatile.

I used it a lot in places where i can plug it to charge the battery, so battery life was not a concer for me. Using it with wifi on, bluetooth off, and low brightness (surfing, reading, and not intensive things) i managed to get 3,5 hours.

Inking was super cool. You can ink every where in any of the office programs. ArtRage, and other photo edition programs worked great for me. With X-PDF i could ink and highlight the tons of PDF i have to read (i'm a medical student).

My unit had de SDcard slot broken, so it''s in asus facility right now and i'm waiting for it to come back!

9. daveyd007

daveyd007 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm very happy with the ep121 at almost one month ownership and counting. It can be fine-tuned for very low power draw to achieve 3.5 hours usage with the stock battery, or, function like a desktop processor and drain the battery rapidly.

Like kamikaze, I'm usually near a 110v power source, and have a 'dc to dc' auto charger on hand.

The screen brightness of the ep121 surpasses that of my samsung lcd desktop screens. Indoors - Brightness on the slate is usually set at it's lowest possible setting and it's still bright enough to read. So for outdoors there's a lot of brightness adjustments to be made. I love the slate because it is very versatile, and can run hardcore apps like VMWare Wokstation or the entire adobe cs5 master collection suite with ease.

10. JimDandy

JimDandy Scribbler - Standard Member

If you’re looking for reasons not to get one, it would only be the battery life. If you can work around that with a battery pack or by being near a 120/240 power source, you will love this thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.