So, how has your worklife changed in these times?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovelaptops, Apr 1, 2020.

?

Are you working...

1. 1) From Home - Normal Hours

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. 2) From Home - Longer Hours

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 3) From Home - Shorter Hours

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 4) Still going to workplace daily

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 5) Not working - due to crisis

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 6) Not working - any other reason

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. 7)(2nd Response): I'm NOT a US resident (please share what's happening in your country in a post)

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. 8)(2nd Response): I AM a US resident

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

from March 20th to late June - I worked my normal day (online now instead of face to face) with students but it was horrible. The motivated ones clocked in daily even on their days off and posted a lot of work and progress. The hard to reach ones in "normal times" just vanished off the face of the earth.
    It's usually the hard to reach ones who think customers and rich clients are beating paths to their door to buy their work. They also tend to be the ones who should work hardest on their skills. They don't like or want advice - they know everything there is to know about their art apparently.

Anyhow, online teaching was hard, really hard - my eyes haven't quite recovered from staring at a screen 10 hours a day. I'm in Europe. I had been looking at applying for new jobs / step up the ladder type challenges before retirement but I'll be a year older and less of an asset to prospective employers so close to retirement age when this is all over.

darkmagistric and djas like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I thought 10+ hours a day staring into a screen was the initiation into this little forum? Afterall us penabled sort are more prone to have our heads closer to the screen to draw/write on them for prolonged periods, you'll adapt eventually like we all did.

doobiedoobiedum, djas and Marty like this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah....

I'm a pretender then..... after 10 weeks of trying, I failed the final (3 hours solid of non-interactive Video-Conference meetings) test this week. :eek:

Thing that got me was that this 3 hour "meeting" was supposed to be where we learned how to "deliver excellent online classes....."

4. KlickSter123

KlickSter123 Pen Pal - Newbie

I find that I'm working shorter hours at home. I can only be productive for so long in a day, although to be fair that is also the case even when I'm in the office. That's not a bad thing though as I can utilize my time for other things such as other hobbies and improving our home as working remotely can continue and be more of an option in the future (I spent some time skimming through this https://allthestuff.com/hepa-filter/ for example) and tick off other stuff in my "procrastination list". I'm not a fan of video meetings, and still think that they could be condensed into an email, just like with in-person meetings.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I started a new job mid pandemic. Haven't worked in Clinical Medicine for a while,

Working as a contractor on an eHealth Project.

This job was ok with the team doing WFH, (which was done primarily b/c of govt order related to covid) The work order has ended but our immediate boss, has allowed us to continue WFH.

Easily working 12-14 hrs. all kind of odd hours with our consultants scattered all over the globe.

Tons of zoom meetings, as an example just completed my monthly report and had about 19 zoom meetings last month, not including daily Zoom meetings with the team.

Bronsky likes this.