So, how has your worklife changed in these times?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovelaptops, Apr 1, 2020.

?

Are you working...

1. 1) From Home - Normal Hours

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. 2) From Home - Longer Hours

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. 3) From Home - Shorter Hours

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. 4) Still going to workplace daily

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. 5) Not working - due to crisis

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. 6) Not working - any other reason

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. 7)(2nd Response): I'm NOT a US resident (please share what's happening in your country in a post)

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. 8)(2nd Response): I AM a US resident

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I was basically retired when this stuff happened, and I was working from home for more than a decade, most of the time. I'm curious about the rest of you.

NOTE: Please answer twice:

1) Which is your work situation in the COVID-19 era? (1-6)
    2) Are you a US or non-US resident (7,8)

Of course, posts are welcomed, especially if you are not a US resident (we already hog world media!) and I'd love to hear how work and life have changed all over. Also, curious about bandwidth in different countries at this time. Mine has stayed pretty constant - gigabit home connection - but even cable TV networks are having major problems, which are network-specific (CNN lately having constant pauses, pixelation.)

Thanks!

djas likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"From home, rather not say" :D

Pretty hard to be really productive, but yes, working remotely, trying to deal with lots of distractions. Tons of zoom with work. Some honest to god use of the tablet stylus for marking up slides while on zoom, and for putting signatures on forms. Hurray for tablets.

Bronsky and djas like this.
  3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Working from home - typically a good 12-14 hours a day...sometimes longer

DRTigerlilly, Bronsky and djas like this.
  4. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

1) 1
    2) 8

I don't like working from home (miss the camaraderie) but I'm using technology more efficiently. I have three major projects, and use 3 devices separately for each (Canvas, GB12, and Surface). I kind of like compartmentalizing the projects on each device compared to say a virtual desktop setup. I like the Canvas for reviewing multiple side by side documents. But I wouldn't bring a setup like this to work.

djas, darkmagistric and lovelaptops like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"One of us! One of us! One of us!"

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

In some ways, there have been very little by way of changes to my work life. Some 20 years ago, I left a large law firm and started my own practice. It grew to a small 5-6 lawyer firm which we operated for roughly 15 years. When my partner decided to go it alone five years ago, I decided to shrink down my practice to my specialty alone and offloaded any other work. As such, I have been able to practice with a small staff and one junior lawyer.

Since the outbreak, my staff has remained home but I have been going into the office. With my three kids home from college, I can't get anything done in my house. Working in the office alone has been quite pleasant. The phones are forwarded and the doors are locked.

What has really changed is that all appearances, depositions and other events, like document reviews, have been cancelled. I have been doing some simple depositions via zoom and the like but most of my cases involve experts whose depositions can't be done via video conferencing. I typically try a number of cases each year and argue a number of appeals. All of that work has been adjourned until after the crisis.

The one thing that I do like about the new normal is the Court's newfound dependence on video conferencing in lieu of appearances. I don't think I would like to use it for oral argument, but it saves so much time on typical management conferences and trial calls (a/k/a cattle calls). At a typical conference with the Court, you have to sit in the courtroom until the Court is ready to see you. Sometimes that can take all morning, afternoon or day. With video conferencing, you can simply wait on hold, watch all the proceedings and still be working away at your desk. A much improved way to spend your time.

I do a lot more marking-up of PDF's than I did in the past. Adversaries are more tolerant about that kind of thing these days.

I was surprised at how well my Go has held up while video conferencing. Can't want to bump the power up to an M3 to smooth out the video a bit.

Wow. I am the only one who voted so far that is going into work regularly. I'm a US citizen and resident of New Jersey, just south of the US COVID-19 Epicenter.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I used to work in hospitality for a long time....but I got out of it a few years ago......somewhat fortunate I guess....given how Covid-19 has really wrecked the Hospitality/Hotel Industry. At my old property....like 70% of the staff's been laid off since March.....even some long timers....like 10-20 year employees.......its crazy.

I've been working for a real estate office the past few years in the interim......not as a realtor....but sort of odds and ends kind of guy. (Lawn signs, tech support, open house help, etc)......Covid has definitely had an effect on the real estate market....but thankful my duties don't really require much person interaction....so aside from having less to do....I haven't been affected to much. The office is technically closed, but we can still use it.

However.....the 6 month coding Bootcamp I've been in thru Rutgers has definitely been effected. The course was set to end in May.....and since March 12....Rutgers as a whole has either shut down completely (as their undergrad program did) or in the continuing education portion.... shifted to On-line only..........so my in-class Bootcamp is now an on-line bootcamp. We meet at the same times....but over Zoom.......in some cases its more useful.....like being able to share screens in a breakout room on Zoom is way more useful then trying to share a laptop screen on a desk with numerous people.

However I didn't really want to do an On-line bootcamp......I like the in-person interactions and going to class, etc.......and I miss the general water cooler talks me and my classmates would have before and after class, and on breaks. We can do a little of that on Zoom....but its not the same...and when half the class has their video feeds blank.....it feels alittle detached. Also......our mid-May graduation is apparently going to be Remote as well...not really sure how thats gonna work......but alot of my classmates were looking forward to graduation and celebrating at a bar afterwards....so It is somewhat of a bummer for me.....and since the course of 21 people moved remote.....2 people dropped out at this point....so Moral is kind of low.

So.....I'm coding at home.....but for me its kind of horrid.......I get nothing done at home....and as much as I was looking into remote working gigs going forward (before Covid-19)......I really strive working on my stuff at coffee houses, cafes, even bars.........so being unable to do that has kind of stiffed my creatively and workflow. Like if I could just sit at a coffee house for 3-4 hours....I would get more work done in those 3-4 hours then days at home.

So I am not really a happy camper....but making the best of it. And I'm also in New Jersey..... but closer to the Corona Epicenter of New York then Bronsky probably is. I'm fortunate that I haven't lost anyone I personally know to the Virus. (at least not yet)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Bronsky, lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hang in there @nyb72! You can do it!
    EDIT: You too, @darkmagistric - sorry I left you out!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I've been thinking of you while watching the news, knowing that you are up north in the center of this mess. I'm thankfully on the edge of the Pine Barrens, so its a bit more remote around here. Still, its scary times. Hope things continue to go well for you.

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Singaporean family with roots in Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. Worrying times.

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/singapore

Crazy as well: Called home from Tokyo just on time, currently serving SHN (WFH), get my salary increased and will receive 2 months bonus next payroll.

I am sorry to hear US & other Western countries doing badly. We are facing an influx of Singaporeans coming home from abroad and they are bringing home the virus.

Please stay safe & healthy everyone. God bless.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    DRTigerlilly and lovelaptops like this.