So hard to find a tablet or slate

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jalexand, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexand

jalexand Pen Pal - Newbie

It is just so hard to find the perfect machine! The problem is that when searching, half of the things I find are either "coming out soon" or are two years old. I'd love a list of things that are out Now.

So I am seeking a <$800 machine, either slate or convertible tablet.

I would prefer multi-touch (although single touch might work, it is least preferred).

I would like a webcam or the option for an external one.

Size and speed are less of a concern for me.

Battery life of 4 hours or more.

I want to be able to view PDFs, browse the web, and work on my MS word, excel, and powerpoint docs (if not using MS office, than an alternative software suite that is very good). I also would love love love it if it could run java apps (I have a java app called ImageJ for graphics processing that I would like to run).

I would prefer Win 7 or XP, but, if I can be assured I can do what I need to do in another OS, I'm fine with that.

Any thoughts?

So far my list includes:
    Asus Eee PC T91 (single-touch, no webcam, no accelerometer)
    viliv S10 Blade (good on paper, reviews are that it is flimsy)
    archos 9 (single touch, poor reviews)
    ideapad s10-3t (winner so far, i think)

2. jalexand

just talking to myself here, but i think others might be interested.

So I've identified these convertibles so far. I think a nice netbook convertible has sufficient horsepower to do many things and by running the windows 7 OS (fyi, I'm a linux fan, not a MS fan, but, for work practicality windows has some major advantages over proprietary OSs) it has the ability to run pretty much any app.

Asus EEE PC t101mt
    Gigabyte touchnote t1000p
    viliv S10 blade
    lenovo ideapad S10-3t

they are all multi-touch capacitave screen convertibles with high resolution and they all have good processors and up to 2 GB of Ram (except the viliv) and a webcam. They are all also under $800 (some closer to $500).

Thoughts? Comments?

I'd be awesome if they were in a true slate format, but, that will be another 6 months or so - and I can't wait!

BUT if anyone knows of a true slate that can get me close, I'd LOVE to investigate it.

3. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're not looking to go older/used or refurb, you've pretty much priced yourself out of most options that anyone would recommend. Those netbook tablets aren't really discussed too extensively on these forums so you might not get a whole lot of feedback unfortunately. But hey people, prove me wrong ;)

4. jalexand

Yeah, I've redone my list of things it "must do" and what I want. I am willing to go older/refurb though.

I'm now waffling between a netvertible, of which I've identified 5 in the $400-$700 range that can do what I need:

Asus Eee PC T91mt
    asus eee pc t101mt
    Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t
    gigabyte touch note t1000p
    viliv S10 Blade

But does anyone know what slates are available now? or in the next week or so?

All I know of are the iPad and the Archos 9 and Entourage Edge

Any others?